Anyone else hate frag racks?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the luxury of having a separate frag tank, and I've never enjoyed seeing a frag rack in my main display tank. However, I did purchase some "Bonsai reef shelfs" and received them today. I think these may work very well for a "natural " looking area I can put in my main display and house a lot of frags. I just thought I'd share! Fingers crossed.

20180222_145232.jpg

20180222_145006.jpg

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of these. I will be interested to hear how you like them.

The rock in my tank is getting full of corals and frags... and these have the potential to add more... ;) I have also seen solid plates instead of ones with holes. These could be a great platform to put LPS and even clams on to elevate them off the sand bed.... which in my case would be good because my diamond goby likes to do a lot of scaping....

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby also :) These bonsai reef shelfs have different base heights you can buy, so you can get them to sit low or higher off your bottom as you need. I saw 2" bases all the way up to 8". I could see making some nice tiered structures with a little bit of proper positioning

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have them in my tank. Here are initial impressions and comments. Out of the tank they looked to be a slight purple color. Under my leds, they look more like a light blue, which I kind of like. The plates sit down into the bases fairly tightly which is good because you don't want your flow moving them around. Placing them on the glass is easy because of the nice large flat base, but if you run a lot of flow you really need sand or something on top of the base to keep it from being blown around as they are much lighter in water (of course). They look fairly natural to me and not "fake". Given some algae and coralline growth on them in time, I think they will blend nicely. The 3 plate piece is pretty large. It takes up about a 12 inch by 12 inch area, so I had to redo some real estate to work it into the tank. The single piece was much easier to find a home for it. I like having bases that are a few inches tall, as it gives an inch or two of gap between the sand and the plate. I like that visually and probably better for flow, but this may be more of a personal preference. I now just need to buy buy some more SPS frags to place in them!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back