Possible Brooklynella in my Frag Aquarium.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I housed a fellow hobbyist fish in three aquariums. My Quarantine Tank, Ione I rapidly set up and my Frag Tank. Clowns and a Yellow Chromis went in the Frag with an Anemone. He got his fish back last Sunday and is now blaming me for Brook. I haven’t seen any signs of Brook. I’m very careful about cross using implements, without cleaning and soaking. How do I tell if I have Brook, in the Frag Tank? Treatment. BTW, I have live rock in this Frag Tank.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info. Did you have any fish in these tanks prior to the ones you temporarily housed?

If so, what species and how long have you had them?

Have you ever had any illnesses in any of your tanks prior to the ones from your friend? If so, what, and how did you treat them?

Do you concur with your friend's diagnosis? Can you provide photos/videos and describe what factors led him to the diagnosis?

Brooklynella targets clownfish and is rarely seen on other species. I suppose the parasite could be transported on coral plugs, but I believe that would be very unusual. So let's try to confirm the diagnosis and determine if you have a plausible source for it to have found a way to your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I housed a fellow hobbyist fish in three aquariums. My Quarantine Tank, Ione I rapidly set up and my Frag Tank. Clowns and a Yellow Chromis went in the Frag with an Anemone. He got his fish back last Sunday and is now blaming me for Brook. I haven’t seen any signs of Brook. I’m very careful about cross using implements, without cleaning and soaking. How do I tell if I have Brook, in the Frag Tank? Treatment. BTW, I have live rock in this Frag Tank.
With brook, there will be loss of color, elevated breathing, mucus at the face and body, loss of appetite and weird swimming behavior
Please post pic under white light intensity- better would be a video

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had fish in my Coral Frag Tank, which is an Oceanic 32 . He has the fish, they were returned last Sunday. I went out of town after that. I’m back and everything looks okay in my Aquariums. I drained and have Clorox solution going through my Quarantine and the Spare Tank. How should I treat the Frag Tank, with a big chunk of live rock and Cabbage Leather Coral?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had fish in my Coral Frag Tank, which is an Oceanic 32 . He has the fish, they were returned last Sunday. I went out of town after that. I’m back and everything looks okay in my Aquariums. I drained and have Clorox solution going through my Quarantine and the Spare Tank. How should I treat the Frag Tank, with a big chunk of live rock and Cabbage Leather Coral?
If you have never had fish in your frag tank, and if you have not recently added any new frags, then the only way you could have brook in the frag tank is if your friend's fish brough it to your tank when you housed them temporarily. So, confirmation of your friend's diagnosis is the first step.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Safe to use would be ruby rally pro if brook

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't put fish in the tank - after a fallow period, there will be no brook.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no reason to sterilize anything - just leave it fallow. i.e. unless your normal protocol is bleaching, etc - just don't add fish. I also wouldn't treat the tank with anything for brook (your friend might) - AFAIK, there is no proof that your friends have brook? - as compared to something else related to the move - as others have also mentioned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back