Brooklynella in a Canadian Reef tank

Henslay2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

It seems I've got Brook in my 55 gallon reeftank ‍♀️ to add to the joys of that, I'm in Canada, where any effective medications are banned.

Being said, I am moving at the end of the month.

Would I be able to remove the coral from the live rock and allow the whole system to completely dry out and rid of the brook while the fish/inverts/coral are in quarentine?

Or would it be more effective to just fallow the system?

My stock list is 2 skunk clowns (affected) a purple fire fish and a diamond goby (neither showing signs), a cleaner shrimp, handful of hermits and snails, and soft coral.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

It seems I've got Brook in my 55 gallon reeftank ‍♀️ to add to the joys of that, I'm in Canada, where any effective medications are banned.

Would I be able to remove the coral from the live rock and allow the whole system to completely dry out and rid of the brook while the fish/inverts/coral are in quarentine?

My stock list is 2 skunk clowns (affected) a purple fire fish and a diamond goby (neither showing signs), a cleaner shrimp, handful of hermits and snails, and soft coral.
I’ve never had a skunk clown develop brooklynella, but then, they are less common in the hobby. Are you 100% with you diagnosis? Feel free to post a video if not.

True fallow periods require the removal of all fish, not just the ones showing obvious signs of infection.

Brooklynella has direct development with no resistant testing stage, so drying will kill them easily.

Jay

OP
OP
Henslay2

Henslay2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a skunk clown develop brooklynella, but then, they are less common in the hobby. Are you 100% with you diagnosis? Feel free to post a video if not.

True fallow periods require the removal of all fish, not just the ones showing obvious signs of infection.

Brooklynella has direct development with no resistant testing stage, so drying will kill them easily.

Jay
I'm absolutely positive unfortunately, it came in on clown gobies that had all the cookie cutter signs.

Would you say it would be worth fw dipping the skunk clowns and doing a hypo salinity qt until I move, then put all livestock/coral from the reef into a qt tank and allowing the reef to fully dry out?

What would you suggest for "disinfecting" the filtration system/anything in contact with this system? (Fx6)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm absolutely positive unfortunately, it came in on clown gobies that had all the cookie cutter signs.

Would you say it would be worth fw dipping the skunk clowns and doing a hypo salinity qt until I move, then put all livestock/coral from the reef into a qt tank and allowing the reef to fully dry out?

What would you suggest for "disinfecting" the filtration system/anything in contact with this system? (Fx6)
For meds, try fish pets mart in Montreal or quebec

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

What does the female emoji mean?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FW dips may buy you some time, and if you can dip and move into a sterile tank (maybe 3 times) you may be able to outrun it. I’ve never had hyposalinity itself work for Brook.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are no meds anywhere, it’s forbidden by law. They would risk losing their license if they sold any.
Its called Pets drug mart. I have at least 3 persons from Canada who were able to obtain certain meds from them

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just went through everything they offer and they don't have the formalin
Formalin I would not expect as its also hard to get elsewhere. You can use ruby rally pro which they can get

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Where is this Pet marts in Montréal? This is where I am. Québec is like 3 hours away from me.
As for distance, I cant help on that. Its Pets drug mart.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called Pets drug mart. I have at least 3 persons from Canada who were able to obtain certain meds from them
I can’t find any Pets drug mart in Montreal. There is an online store called Petsdrugmart.ca but you need prescriptions.

Is it a brick and mortar store ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back