Suspected Brooklynella - now what? (Tank decontamination?)

wavyjoneslocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version: Suspected brook took out my two clowns, should I start from scratch and run bleach or some other chemical through my tank to decontaminate ? Lesson has been learned that I need a QT. I am devestated staring at my empty tank.

Long version:
Well, I hate this to be my first post, I'm new to keeping a salt water aquarium.

After receiving a tank as a gift and cycling my tank for approx 2 months (fishless with Dr tims ammonia and Fritz nitrifying bacteria) all of my water parameters were perfect. I was super excited and that weekend I picked up a solo clownfish, 3 weeks later LFS got more clowns in stock, so I picked up a second clown.

The two fish immediately got along with each other and seemed to be really thriving in their new home.

Last night being 1 week since the second clown was added I noticed the original fish looked like he had salt or micro bubbles on his scales. After doing research on the forum I knew it was either ich, velvet or brook. I planned to go to LFS today to pick up a qt tank and medication, however this morning fish 2 was gone.

I removed him from the tank immediately, while setting up a makeshift freshwater bath for fish 1, I noticed the slime on his scales as he swam, within 20 minutes he too was gone too.

Where do I go from here? Will Fallow be enough or should I use bleach?
TIA!

20231226_173500.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Short version: Suspected brook took out my two clowns, should I start from scratch and run bleach or some other chemical through my tank to decontaminate ? Lesson has been learned that I need a QT. I am devestated staring at my empty tank.

Long version:
Well, I hate this to be my first post, I'm new to keeping a salt water aquarium.

After receiving a tank as a gift and cycling my tank for approx 2 months (fishless with Dr tims ammonia and Fritz nitrifying bacteria) all of my water parameters were perfect. I was super excited and that weekend I picked up a solo clownfish, 3 weeks later LFS got more clowns in stock, so I picked up a second clown.

The two fish immediately got along with each other and seemed to be really thriving in their new home.

Last night being 1 week since the second clown was added I noticed the original fish looked like he had salt or micro bubbles on his scales. After doing research on the forum I knew it was either ich, velvet or brook. I planned to go to LFS today to pick up a qt tank and medication, however this morning fish 2 was gone.

I removed him from the tank immediately, while setting up a makeshift freshwater bath for fish 1, I noticed the slime on his scales as he swam, within 20 minutes he too was gone too.

Where do I go from here? Will Fallow be enough or should I use bleach?
TIA!

20231226_173500.jpg
Need closer and side images as this may be ich but hard to confirm from a top view

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There would be no reason to take your tank down completely - instead a fallow period would be helpful - perhaps 6 weeks (assuming you're correct that its brooklynella)

OP
OP
W

wavyjoneslocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be no reason to take your tank down completely - instead a fallow period would be helpful - perhaps 6 weeks (assuming you're correct that its brooklynella)
I am 90% thinking brook and 10% thinking possibly velvet, but in the final hour I saw that trademark slime coat that is found with brook.

I just dont want this to happen again

Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought could be possible but fish are already goners
Sorry to hear. Leave tank empty at least two weeks, preferably four weeks and start up or maintain a quarantine tank with ruby rally pro which will cleanse them. General cure will also work in QT tank for at least 4 weeks of treatment of new fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 90% thinking brook and 10% thinking possibly velvet, but in the final hour I saw that trademark slime coat that is found with brook.

I just dont want this to happen again

Thank you
That was long term ich. You can leave the tank fishless for 60 days. You can add invertebrates during that time if they come from uncontaminated tanks.
Going forward, you may want to buy pre quarantined fish, or quarantine them yourself. The dealer that sold you sick fish can only be blamed for not being proactive about fish disease, but you might want to avoid unquarantined fish from them going forward.
Jay

OP
OP
W

wavyjoneslocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was long term ich. You can leave the tank fishless for 60 days. You can add invertebrates during that time if they come from uncontaminated tanks.
Going forward, you may want to buy pre quarantined fish, or quarantine them yourself. The dealer that sold you sick fish can only be blamed for not being proactive about fish disease, but you might want to avoid unquarantined fish from them going forward.
Jay
I think I will def do the quarantine myself, I take responsibility that I should have in the first place. I would have assumed they would have recommended it, being a newbie and all. I did call them to warn them they've obviously got some parasites and they didn't seem to care.

Will ich/brook/velvet survive in the live rock or sand?

Thanks everyone!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will def do the quarantine myself, I take responsibility that I should have in the first place. I would have assumed they would have recommended it, being a newbie and all. I did call them to warn them they've obviously got some parasites and they didn't seem to care.

Will ich/brook/velvet survive in the live rock or sand?

Thanks everyone!

Those protozoan diseases will all die out from lack of a fish host within 60 days.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back