Need some help clarifying what this is

Michael marturiello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so about 3 months ago I put a bunch of my fish from my 200 gallon main display into quarantine tanks due to a nasty case of ich, I put copper in the tank and just let it do its thing one of the fish I put in these tanks was a purple tank that was super health he stayed health for the whole time he was in this tank until 2 nights ago I started realizing that he had a massive loss of his appetite and he was very lethargic and he was constantly breathing heavily and he seemed to have some weird white film in his gill I thought it was just stress so I took all the water out rinsed the whole qt setup and did a 50% water change and replaced the copper but by the next morning he was gone and he was very stiff to the touch, can anyone maybe help me figure out what happend and how to prevent/treat it in the future.

IMG_3759.jpeg IMG_3758.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info please.

What copper product, what concentration, what testing device was used?

Am I correct to understand the fish was in copper QT for three months? How often did you test?

What was the size of the QT? What other fish were in QT and in the tank with the tang?

How have the other fish made out?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so about 3 months ago I put a bunch of my fish from my 200 gallon main display into quarantine tanks due to a nasty case of ich, I put copper in the tank and just let it do its thing one of the fish I put in these tanks was a purple tank that was super health he stayed health for the whole time he was in this tank until 2 nights ago I started realizing that he had a massive loss of his appetite and he was very lethargic and he was constantly breathing heavily and he seemed to have some weird white film in his gill I thought it was just stress so I took all the water out rinsed the whole qt setup and did a 50% water change and replaced the copper but by the next morning he was gone and he was very stiff to the touch, can anyone maybe help me figure out what happend and how to prevent/treat it in the future.

IMG_3759.jpeg IMG_3758.jpeg
Sorry to see. The purple looks slightly thin and you mentioned adding copper.
Were you using coppersafe or cupramine?
What level copper were you running and how were you testing it?
White film in gill can be protective film/mucus or reaction to copper if overdosed which will explain rapid breathing.
Other without more history can be low oxygen or in fact disease

Prevention is always a value and signs /first signs are heavy breathing and loss of appetite which are flags indication something is going on

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back