my puffer has this weird stuff growing on him!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree the salt and temp are both lower than what tropical fish thrive in.
Those parameters are both well within range for Diodon holocanthus - finding them in cool inshore water is a normal habitat for them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Personally disagree with this, it's what I run my LPS tank at and it's working well for me
It’s what you run but may not be favorable for all especially if a community tank, many fish will not do well in colder temps
I run my tank around 78 and 42 fish over 5 years doing well
Each tank differs especially based on occupants

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably why you have soo many problems with your tank(s).
what the heck are you talking about? Any higher temp and my pectinia will not inflate, all corals are growing well (exept for my wilsoni, which is currently in too low flow, moving tonight) the only problems I've had are with pests, and temperature has nothing to do with that. Maybe next time realize that the majority of issues with my tank are not temperature or salinity related

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s what you run but may not be favorable for all especially if a community tank, many fish will not do well in colder temps
I run my tank around 78 and 42 fish over 5 years doing well
Each tank differs especially based on occupants
I do not have many fish at the moment, though now that you mention that I may run temp up to 73-74

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck are you talking about? Any higher temp and my pectinia will not inflate, all corals are growing well (exept for my wilsoni, which is currently in too low flow, moving tonight) the only problems I've had are with pests, and temperature has nothing to do with that. Maybe next time realize that the majority of issues with my tank are not temperature or salinity related
I do not have many fish at the moment, though now that you mention that I may run temp up to 73-74
So I'm not doing this, raised my tank from 71 to 73ish and my barabattoia started bleaching......... back to 71 I guess

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably why you have soo many problems with your tank(s).
Not listening to this, I thought that just maybe the low temperature is why I don't see many feeding responses, raised it two degrees and my barabattoia started bleaching. Just wanted to let you know that you don't know what you're talking about and this is your fault.

Nansi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I just joined this forum. I rescue puffers and treat a lot of different ailments. I’ve only seen 2 of these cases on a puffer. It’s classic fungal infection. Usually it’s not this bad because it’s caught early. I usually see this on Engineering Gobies a lot, especially after fin nipping issues. It will occur on poorly lighted aquariums or on areas where the fish like to stay in a dark area.

I usually treat with Sulfaplex. It works great and will help deter secondary issues from fungal rot like Septicemia. That will usually follow. Eels will get this as well from live rock scratches and can succumb to Septicemia. Fungals are hard to see on Eels, so it progresses quickly with very little visual clues to a fungus because most eels have whites.

Puffers and Engineering Gobies I find usually get these issues from low flow aquariums, especially towards the bottom where they like to sleep or spend most of their time.

Unlike parasites, fungus hates light. Use light to your advantage to help it fight it off.

I hope it’s doing well. Best wishes for that poor little guy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back