Porcupine Puffer with large white spots on one fin

NytroGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We picked up this Porcupine Puffer a week ago and he’s been doing wonderful so far. He’s eating and active and comes up to the top and front glass when we come near.
We’ve noticed that’s big white spots on one of his fins. We thought maybe he had damaged himself in transit to the local pet store but we’re not sure.
I’ve added some photos. It’s a 65 gallon tank and we have two clowns and a cleaner shrimp.
He did puff up one day last week. It looked like he was trying to eat a lone hermit crab and the hermit crab fought back.
The bluer photos were taken today and the other photo on January 31st. He only had two small spots when we got him but they’ve gotten bigger.
I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks.

IMG_8988.jpeg IMG_8987.jpeg IMG_8986.jpeg IMG_8990.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We picked up this Porcupine Puffer a week ago and he’s been doing wonderful so far. He’s eating and active and comes up to the top and front glass when we come near.
We’ve noticed that’s big white spots on one of his fins. We thought maybe he had damaged himself in transit to the local pet store but we’re not sure.
I’ve added some photos. It’s a 65 gallon tank and we have two clowns and a cleaner shrimp.
He did puff up one day last week. It looked like he was trying to eat a lone hermit crab and the hermit crab fought back.
The bluer photos were taken today and the other photo on January 31st. He only had two small spots when we got him but they’ve gotten bigger.
I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks.

IMG_8988.jpeg IMG_8987.jpeg IMG_8986.jpeg IMG_8990.jpeg
This cauliflower effect appear to be a viral issue known as lymphocystis however to verify not fin ray or rot issue, please post pics under white light intensity to verify. Also, do I see a cloudy eye on this fish?

OP
OP
N

NytroGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cauliflower effect appear to be a viral issue known as lymphocystis however to verify not fin ray or rot issue, please post pics under white light intensity to verify. Also, do I see a cloudy eye on this fish?
I don’t see a cloudy eye on him. Here’s a couple stills from a video I took today. He’s so fast that’s the only way I can zoom in on the fins.

Attachments

• IMG_9004.jpeg
    IMG_9004.jpeg
    743.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9003.jpeg
    IMG_9003.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t see a cloudy eye on him. Here’s a couple stills from a video I took today. He’s so fast that’s the only way I can zoom in on the fins.
It appears , its the blue light that made the eye appear hazy. The fin looks like lymphocystis bit could be bacterial. I would treat with Ruby Rally Pro as a precaution in the tank or seachem Neoplex in an external treatment tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, the fin looks like Lymphocystis. However, many of the spines also have white nodules on the end of them. That could also be Lymphocystis, but could also be bacterial.

Is the fish eating well?

Jay

OP
OP
N

NytroGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears , it’s the blue light that made the eye appear hazy. The fin looks like lymphocystis bit could be bacterial. I would treat with Ruby Rally Pro as a precaution in the tank or seachem Neoplex in an external treatment tank
Okay good. Glad his eye is good.

Thank you! I’ll get some.

OP
OP
N

NytroGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good. Glad his eye is good.

Thank you! I’ll get some.
I’ve treated him for three days and he was doing well until today. The spots haven’t improved at all.
Today he is hiding under the rock where our cleaner shrimp normally hangs out and isn’t eating this evening. He also looks like he’s struggling to breathe a bit which hurts my heart. :-(
I’ll get a better photo in the morning when I have better light.

IMG_9121.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9122.mov
    5.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve treated him for three days and he was doing well until today. The spots haven’t improved at all.
Today he is hiding under the rock where our cleaner shrimp normally hangs out and isn’t eating this evening.
I’ll get a better photo in the morning when I have better light.

May be Lymphoctstis which is a condition and not disease but need a picture under white lighting.
Your pic is dark and this is what we see:
1707956332159.png

OP
OP
N

NytroGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He finally came out of the hidey spot today and started eating again. His fin does look a little better today so maybe he just needed a rest.

Attachments

• IMG_9128.jpeg
    IMG_9128.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9132.jpeg
    IMG_9132.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He finally came out of the hidey spot today and started eating again. His fin does look a little better today so maybe he just needed a rest.

This might be Lymphocystis, but it seems more "smooth" than that disease looks like. Since it is acting better, I would just observe it closely for now.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back