porcupine puffer not eating/white spots on fins

porcpuffer124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post here last week of my porcupine puffer who wouldnt eat, and continued to constantly glass surf. I bought him last monday so this has been going on for a little over a week now. At the time I had tried regular bagged shrimp from the grocery store aswell as clams on the half shell, both with garlic to try and tempt him. No luck. I then tried mysis and brine shrimp because i thought maybe it was too big for him. No luck either. I also have very small peppermint shrimp in my tank with him, so its not like he wouldnt try live food. He tends to stay near either end of the tank and glass surf all day, i have seen him only twice swim throughout the rockwork since hes been in my tank. During which he would tend to hide in the caves. All his tankmates are peaceful, so hes not getting bullied either. At the time i purchased him his fins also looked healthy but as time went on I noticed a bunch of white dots appear on his fins, is this ich? pic included of him with healthy looking fins

Capture.PNG 5.PNG 2.PNG 43.PNG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I made a post here last week of my porcupine puffer who wouldnt eat, and continued to constantly glass surf. I bought him last monday so this has been going on for a little over a week now. At the time I had tried regular bagged shrimp from the grocery store aswell as clams on the half shell, both with garlic to try and tempt him. No luck. I then tried mysis and brine shrimp because i thought maybe it was too big for him. No luck either. I also have very small peppermint shrimp in my tank with him, so its not like he wouldnt try live food. He tends to stay near either end of the tank and glass surf all day, i have seen him only twice swim throughout the rockwork since hes been in my tank. During which he would tend to hide in the caves. All his tankmates are peaceful, so hes not getting bullied either. At the time i purchased him his fins also looked healthy but as time went on I noticed a bunch of white dots appear on his fins, is this ich? pic included of him with healthy looking fins

The white dots appear to be lympho but can also be flukes especially with fish not eating.
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Also try reducing the white brightness and see if its making the fish uncomfortable.
Also, what is age of tank as this type of fish is often not an ideal first fish. Did you acclimate it and for how long?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are too large to be ich. Lymphocystis is more commonly seen on the edges of the fins.

There are some rarer issues like microsporidians that can cause larger pustules like this. Can you tell, are there similar spots on the fish’s body?

Jay

scottbeanerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does he try to open his mouth?Mine developed lockjaw from not changing up his diet,supposedly a vitamin deficiency.i hand fed mine Rods fish food and a couple drops of Lugoi solution a day to the tank(iodine).he pulled through after a couple weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back