Help with frogfish.

zeeqwertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him today. White spots all over his body.
IMG_5003.jpeg

2weeks ago this is what he looked liked when i got him.
IMG_4944.jpeg

Feeding him twice a week. Lfs showed me it eats frozen krill and he was indeed eating frozen. I tried to feed it live but he just ignores it.

Overtime he has developed spots all over his body.

Tank parameters are as follows

Size - 20g
sg - 1.025
Ph - 7.7 to 8.1 depending on the time of day
Nitrates - 5.6
Phosphates - 0.05
Temp - 78

I do weekly water change of about 20ish %

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zeeqwertz Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is him today. White spots all over his body.
IMG_5003.jpeg

2weeks ago this is what he looked liked when i got him.
IMG_4944.jpeg

Feeding him twice a week. Lfs showed me it eats frozen krill and he was indeed eating frozen. I tried to feed it live but he just ignores it.

Overtime he has developed spots all over his body.

Tank parameters are as follows

Size - 20g
sg - 1.025
Ph - 7.7 to 8.1 depending on the time of day
Nitrates - 5.6
Phosphates - 0.05
Temp - 78

I do weekly water change of about 20ish %
That low PH could be affecting him but its hard to clearly see whats on the body as it appears to be dust from sand or possible parasitic.
Is fish still eating ?

OP
OP
Z

zeeqwertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That low PH could be affecting him but its hard to clearly see whats on the body as it appears to be dust from sand or possible parasitic.
Is fish still eating ?
I just fed him a few of days ago. I tried feeding him today but he’s been ignoring the food and has retreated behind rocks most of times. Unlike when he was just chillin in the open.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a disease expert here, but frozen krill is just about the last thing I would purposefully feed a frogfish (live diets are generally better for them for a number of reasons, including activity, and krill is high is thiaminase, which can cause serious problems for predators).

Also, how big is your frogfish? If it's particularly small, then you may want to feed every other day or ever three days.

The links below may help with keeping these (and other predators):

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just fed him a few of days ago. I tried feeding him today but he’s been ignoring the food and has retreated behind rocks most of times. Unlike when he was just chillin in the open.
Are you able to provide a clear video for best assessment and under white lighting ?

OP
OP
Z

zeeqwertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a disease expert here, but frozen krill is just about the last thing I would purposefully feed a frogfish (live diets are generally better for them for a number of reasons, including activity, and krill is high is thiaminase, which can cause serious problems for predators).

Also, how big is your frogfish? If it's particularly small, then you may want to feed every other day or ever three days.

The links below may help with keeping these (and other predators):

I tried live feeding but he’s been ignoring it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried live feeding but he’s been ignoring it.
What did you try to feed it?

If it's not taking live food, I'd at least try to get it eating better frozen foods for predators than krill - LRS Reef Frenzy, skin-on salmon, mackerel, whole fresh shrimp, etc. would all be better nutritionally for it.

OP
OP
Z

zeeqwertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you try to feed it?

If it's not taking live food, I'd at least try to get it eating better frozen foods for predators than krill - LRS Reef Frenzy, skin-on salmon, mackerel, whole fresh shrimp, etc. would all be better nutritionally for it.
I tried live molly, live ghost and amano shrimp.

No bite.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I tried uploading here but no bueno. Youtube compresses the vid aswell.

Thank you. Looks like a skin irritation or bacterial. Breathing doesnt seem labored but rather shallow. Are you running tank with sumo non reef ready?

OP
OP
Z

zeeqwertz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Looks like a skin irritation or bacterial. Breathing doesnt seem labored but rather shallow. Are you running tank with sumo non reef ready?
Sorry non familiar with the term sumo. Im assuming sump?

Im running an all in one 20g setup. no other livestock other than corals.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry non familiar with the term sumo. Im assuming sump?

Im running an all in one 20g setup. no other livestock other than corals.

It is breathing WAY too fast for an anglerfish. That, combined with it having been eating, but now stopped, and the color change implies some infection, probably protozoan.

It is REALLY difficult to diagnose these issues in anglerfish because their skin is so odd looking, normal visual clues just don't work. I use a microscope and do a skin scrape in order to tell bacterial from protozoan issues with these.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back