Need help with my Gem Tang

zatchyvsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Got ich in my main display. Sigh! Transferred all my fish to hospital tanks with copper power at therapeutic levels. This past Saturday the 30th.

All my other fish are doing fine with treatment accept my Gem Tang. He is just hanging out at the bottom of the hospital tang sideways with head pointed down and tail pointed up. His body is a bit crooked and he is not eating like his normal self.

Any suggestions on what I can do. I am willing to transfer him to another tank to treat separately but can not figure out what is wrong with him. He did have ich over his body with cloudy eyes. His fins are a bit torn up as well. I can post pics if needed but will have to wait until tomorrow for better lighting.

I did attach a video for review. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Got ich in my main display. Sigh! Transferred all my fish to hospital tanks with copper power at therapeutic levels. This past Saturday the 30th.

All my other fish are doing fine with treatment accept my Gem Tang. He is just hanging out at the bottom of the hospital tang sideways with head pointed down and tail pointed up. His body is a bit crooked and he is not eating like his normal self.

Any suggestions on what I can do. I am willing to transfer him to another tank to treat separately but can not figure out what is wrong with him. He did have ich over his body with cloudy eyes. His fins are a bit torn up as well. I can post pics if needed but will have to wait until tomorrow for better lighting.

Please try a you tube video. The one posted does not play. What level do you have the cooper at and how are you testing copper level?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

The video isn’t super clear, but the fish seems really thin, and the bent spine can be a symptom of severe malnutrition. I think there is some specific malabsorption issue with this fish, unrelated to ich or the copper treatment. It typically isn’t possible to bring fish back from that point.

I might change my observation with a clearer video……

OP
OP
zatchyvsalt

zatchyvsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn’t super clear, but the fish seems really thin, and the bent spine can be a symptom of severe malnutrition. I think there is some specific malabsorption issue with this fish, unrelated to ich or the copper treatment. It typically isn’t possible to bring fish back from that point.

I might change my observation with a clearer video……
I agree he is very thin. He was eating fine up until about two weeks ago when he definitely started to show signs of being lethargic. And not acting like his true self.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back