Questions on quarantine process

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got 2 clowns, fox faced, 3 banggai, 5 lyretail anthisa, lawnmower blenny, watchman goby, and Ruby red dragonette in my QT about to start copper treatment tomorrow. After that, I’ll do the additional 14 day treatments for internal parasite.

I’ve pulled out about 100 or so pods from my 180 gallon DT, as well as making some baby brines for my Ruby Red to eat and hopefully get it eating as I haven’t observed it eating yet. I’ve also ordered a large jar of pods to seed the QT(it was cycled and contains a lot of pvc pipe and fittings). Will the pods stay alive and propogate during the copper treatment?

For the clowns, before I was QT’ing I got Brook in my tank and it took a lot with it. DT has since been fallowed for 3 months and has been running fine and stable for over a year with 3 fish. I have Paraguard, which the bottle says is a safe alternative to formalin. Should I dip in paraguard for an hour at the end of my QT process right before they go into the DT? Is it even necessary if I don’t observe any worrying signs of Brook? Do I NEED to use formalin instead?

Thank you for advice, and I’m always open to additional advice if you see me doing something wrong!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know the answer about copepods.

Question though, how big is your QT? That's a lot of fish for a small tank. Just want to be sure you have one large enough to handle the population for a couple of months.

I don't think a dip will help very much. Paraguard does not list brook as a target. I would have either formalin or Ruby Red Pro on hand in case Brook appears. Ruby Red Pro does not contain formalin, but the manufacturer still recommends to product for Brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve currently got 2 clowns, fox faced, 3 banggai, 5 lyretail anthisa, lawnmower blenny, watchman goby, and Ruby red dragonette in my QT about to start copper treatment tomorrow. After that, I’ll do the additional 14 day treatments for internal parasite.

I’ve pulled out about 100 or so pods from my 180 gallon DT, as well as making some baby brines for my Ruby Red to eat and hopefully get it eating as I haven’t observed it eating yet. I’ve also ordered a large jar of pods to seed the QT(it was cycled and contains a lot of pvc pipe and fittings). Will the pods stay alive and propogate during the copper treatment?

For the clowns, before I was QT’ing I got Brook in my tank and it took a lot with it. DT has since been fallowed for 3 months and has been running fine and stable for over a year with 3 fish. I have Paraguard, which the bottle says is a safe alternative to formalin. Should I dip in paraguard for an hour at the end of my QT process right before they go into the DT? Is it even necessary if I don’t observe any worrying signs of Brook? Do I NEED to use formalin instead?

Thank you for advice, and I’m always open to additional advice if you see me doing something wrong!
Paraguard wont do much if anything for given diseases hence its claims. For a dip, Ruby rally pro aerated is much safer and effective. for the quarantine, Go at least 21 days, preferably 30 and monitor coppersafe level in which with some of the fish you have which are touchy with copper. maintain treatment level 2.1-2.2 and try to keep it there. Copper starts to work at 2.0 or above

No Brook, dont concern yourself with formalin, at least for now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No - I do not believe they - or other inverts will do well in copper (Edit - The pods)

OP
OP
MiniBukta

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question though, how big is your QT? That's a lot of fish for a small tank. Just want to be sure you have one large enough to handle the population for a couple of months.

I don't think a dip will help very much. Paraguard does not list brook as a target. I would have either formalin or Ruby Red Pro on hand in case Brook appears. Ruby Red Pro does not contain formalin, but the manufacturer still recommends to product for Brook.
55 gallon QT, forgot to mention that, sorry. Lots of pipe work that the fish have found their places already and I’ve yet to see any issues.

Ruby red is a medication I have on hand as well, should Brook appear I’ll definitely dip.

OP
OP
MiniBukta

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard wont do much if anything for given diseases hence its claims. For a dip, Ruby rally pro aerated is much safer and effective. for the quarantine, Go at least 21 days, preferably 30 and monitor coppersafe level in which with some of the fish you have which are touchy with copper. maintain treatment level 2.1-2.2 and try to keep it there. Copper starts to work at 2.0 or above

No Brook, dont concern yourself with formalin, at least for now
Shall do, thank you for the reply!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paraguard is an aldehyde and malachite green mix and I have treated brook with it (unless the brook just disappeared on its own and the fish all got better after a few had died, which is technically an alternative possibility)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I do not believe they - or other inverts will do well in copper (Edit - The pods)

At the last lfs I worked at, copper power was kept between 2-2.5ppm in the fish only system and there were copepods :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes me happy for keeping this Ruby red fed, thank you!

I agree, 2.25 ppm of coppersafe or copper power usually won't kill copepods. Dragonettes aren't really fond of copper, but there really isn't a good alternative for treating them.

OP
OP
MiniBukta

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, 2.25 ppm of coppersafe or copper power usually won't kill copepods. Dragonettes aren't really fond of copper, but there really isn't a good alternative for treating them.
Thank you for your advice, I’ll do my best to keep copper on the low side but always above 2.0.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the last lfs I worked at, copper power was kept between 2-2.5ppm in the fish only system and there were copepods :)
The issue is that the copper content in those fish would be sky high - you would not want those types of pods in your QT. Since there would be a concentrating of copper in the fish (assuming they ate the copepods) - That was the basis of my comment in part - however - I was not aware that a majority of copepods survive copper - always good to learn something !

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back