Anyone else hate something they once thought was cool?

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting “Peppermint shrimps”, loving them swaying back and forth while hanging upside down, and then learning upon adding an SPS coral that there are many Lysmata-species, and most like to eat SPS. I learned I had L. Bogessii. They picked my stylophora and birdsnest clean. The corals did survive though after I moved them to another tank. Also, the shrimps never touched the softies.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting “Peppermint shrimps”, loving them swaying back and forth while hanging upside down, and then learning upon adding an SPS coral that there are many Lysmata-species, and most like to eat SPS. I learned I had L. Bogessii. They picked my stylophora and birdsnest clean. The corals did survive though after I moved them to another tank. Also, the shrimps never touched the softies.
Thats something I did not know and is scary!

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite sure he is alluding to the "old school" wall of rock.
1689948034846.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also hate green star polyps. I got my back wall covered which I like the look of but I let it spread to my rockwork because it’s hard to get behind my aqua scape to remove it.
I also have a bird nest coral that has grown so quick that it overtook other sps corals. I have tried removing it from my tank but I still find small pieces of it growing out of my rock.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indian triggerfish. Actually ordered a Hawaiian black triggerfish, and received the wrong fish. Still a really cool fish, except it like to dig giant pits under rock work and likes to relocate anything that can move. Huge drama queen too, splashes a ton when it's time for food. And obviously, despite being a planktonivorous trigger, still hinders having a clean up crew.
which did you order indicus or niger? and where did you source it>?

I've been looking at these two for a while and would love to get one of the smaller species (niger) but sites I've seen them on list them as Indian ocean and hawaiian which makes it hard to determine what you are getting.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which did you order indicus or niger? and where did you source it>?

I've been looking at these two for a while and would love to get one of the smaller species (niger) but sites I've seen them on list them as Indian ocean and hawaiian which makes it hard to determine what you are getting.
I ordered the melichtys niger, and got an indicus, from a site that no longer exists, Fishy Business Aquatics. The hawaiian is the larger, more colorful melichtys niger, and as far as I can tell many companies cannot tell the difference. Melichtys indicus is the indian trigger, which is far smaller at max size. The difficulty is that when they're upset or stressed, they change color. The indicus turns brownish from its original black, the niger turns black from its original blue/black. The pinktail trigger is in the same genus as these two (Melichtys)

The hawaiian shares its species name with the niger triggerfish, but they are not closely related. The way I differentiate m. Niger from m. Indicus is that the indicus has a white tip on its tail fin which curves outwards, while the niger has no white tip and has it tail fin curve inwards like a niger trigger's tail.

All in all I think you should check with the source you're buying from, but I think it's far more likely that any of those listings would be the smaller indicus. I have never seen the m. niger in the trade, and most retailers don't realize they're two different fish. The m. indicus I have is, however, extremely docile, as far as triggers go, and much more appropriately sized for most aquariums (since max possible size is like 10 inches, but most stop growing probably in the ~8 inches range).

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the melichtys niger, and got an indicus, from a site that no longer exists, Fishy Business Aquatics. The hawaiian is the larger, more colorful melichtys niger, and as far as I can tell many companies cannot tell the difference. Melichtys indicus is the indian trigger, which is far smaller at max size. The difficulty is that when they're upset or stressed, they change color. The indicus turns brownish from its original black, the niger turns black from its original blue/black. The pinktail trigger is in the same genus as these two (Melichtys)

The hawaiian shares its species name with the niger triggerfish, but they are not closely related. The way I differentiate m. Niger from m. Indicus is that the indicus has a white tip on its tail fin which curves outwards, while the niger has no white tip and has it tail fin curve inwards like a niger trigger's tail.

All in all I think you should check with the source you're buying from, but I think it's far more likely that any of those listings would be the smaller indicus. I have never seen the m. niger in the trade, and most retailers don't realize they're two different fish. The m. indicus I have is, however, extremely docile, as far as triggers go, and much more appropriately sized for most aquariums (since max possible size is like 10 inches, but most stop growing probably in the ~8 inches range).
Thank you so much for the detailed response, I greatly appreciate it.

My biggest issue, aside from knowing what I’m getting, is that they always seem to be 5-6” and I’d prefer ~3”

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the detailed response, I greatly appreciate it.

My biggest issue, aside from knowing what I’m getting, is that they always seem to be 5-6” and I’d prefer ~3”
Glad to have been of some help.

Yes, the M. indicus definitely do get that big at least. Mine is definitely larger than that.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's the minimalist aquascape. I thought it was cool when I first started, but now I like the old school look. To me it's timeless
You know, I tried to do one in my 14, a single rock. I never realized how little room I had for corals. So the other day I added a bunch of rocks, a bunch. I still don't love the 90's wall of rock aquascape. But somewhere in between is nice. I love my new scape in an old tank now.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can laugh, I love her to death, but there are not many things more annoying than a 12-year-old girl.
I had one once, I know. When she's twice that age. You will look back and miss those days. The bad attitude will not be forgotten. But it will be a spec of what you relish later.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I tried to do one in my 14, a single rock. I never realized how little room I had for corals. So the other day I added a bunch of rocks, a bunch. I still don't love the 90's wall of rock aquascape. But somewhere in between is nice. I love my new scape in an old tank now.
IMG_20230824_184657192.jpg

I can't agree more, this is my " newest build somewhere in the middle"

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one once, I know. When she's twice that age. You will look back and miss those days. The bad attitude will not be forgotten. But it will be a spec of what you relish later.
Mine are 30 and 35 now. All of that attitude has been a source of laughter and good memories.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back