Red Sea XXL 750 Fail / Red Sea Responded Quickly with a Fix

crazyk972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a disconnect regarding the G2 and the Reefer-S(G2+). When I decided to upgrade from my failing 525XL G1, I did not want to repeat the same results by just replacing the tank and stand. I learned the G2 is built with better seams, plywood vs particle board and reinforced with aluminum supports. The reefer-s is a complete aluminum frame with the euro brace on the tank. So I decided to go with the reefer-s and crossing fingers this will never break down.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea gets a free pass from its buyers even when they watch in droves how Red Sea turned its back on thousands of v1 owners

no accountability = got lucky for them

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea gets a free pass from its buyers even when they watch in droves how Red Sea turned its back on thousands of v1 owners

no accountability = got lucky for them
I have two of there tanks with my currently active display being the 900 3xl. I will never purchase from this company again and if I had the extra funds I would get this tank out of my home.

I’ve seen a few people on here chalk it up to a small statistic but no one actually has the data to say it isn’t statistically significant. So either these individuals (certain individuals on the forms) have run the numbers and deemed it not statistically significant against other tank brands while electing at the same time to not share that data, or they are saying it is statistically insignificant with absolutely no level of certainty.

For people reading this, seams breaks happen no matter what brand you choose. The question in my opinion, if all else is equal, would you rather minimize that particular risk?

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this happened to you, but I have a quick question.

You wrote that this is a Gen 2 Reefer, but I see the plumbing in the sump is black. I have a Gen 2 625 XXL, and the plumbing is red. In fact, ALL the Gen 2 Reefers that I have seen have red plumbing. I only bring this up because I have seen a bunch of Gen 1 Reefers bust seams, but (to date) never a Gen 2.
You are correct. It was a Gen 1 (38 months old), my mistake. New system is up and running with almost all previous fish and about 1/2 of the coral. Keeping the live rock ok was key to a quick restart. Quite the hassle but who said reefing was simple and not complicated :)

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this happened to you, but I have a quick question.

You wrote that this is a Gen 2 Reefer, but I see the plumbing in the sump is black. I have a Gen 2 625 XXL, and the plumbing is red. In fact, ALL the Gen 2 Reefers that I have seen have red plumbing. I only bring this up because I have seen a bunch of Gen 1 Reefers bust seams, but (to date) never a Gen 2.
Correcto. I made a mistake in posting that it was a Gen 2. It was early in Gen 1 (3.5 years old) so def Gen 1. New tank is working out great btw. Love the new Red Sea ATO (didn't come with this previously) and liked it some much that i added it to my other tank, replacing the Tunz. I love being able to see the amount of water being replaced via my phone while traveling as well as the ability to add water remotely.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. It was a Gen 1 (38 months old), my mistake. New system is up and running with almost all previous fish and about 1/2 of the coral. Keeping the live rock ok was key to a quick restart. Quite the hassle but who said reefing was simple and not complicated :)
Thanks for clarifying it’s a gen1. Wonder any known gen2 failures out there.

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW: Here's a recent photo of the 750 XXL that they sent me - about 4 weeks in since restarting the tank. So far, so good. Hope to avoid any cycling, saved most live rock and mixed some old sand in with new live sand. SPS, LPS and softies are all happy as are fish.
IMG_4215.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back