Anyone else having a problem with NYOS test kits?

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I was having big issues of unknown origin with my 90 gallon tank. Now this tank has had challenges..mostly around a move from upstate NY to Colorado where we drove cross country. We overcame all that drama and we’re pretty stable, at least stableish. Things that I purchased online and in LFS are doing great. Then three to four months ago things start to go south. All my numbers look ok with the exception of my nitrate, which is low. Some of my corals are looking not so great and I know very low nitrate is a bad thing...so I add some nitrate. Test again a week or so later and it’s still low...very low actually. So I add more nitrate. :oops:
Now, some may wonder why at this point I would not question these odd results...like where was all this nitrate going? Beats the hell out of me...I’m busy building my house maybe? Lol!! Well,**** happens..so I sent out an ICP test an you can guess what happens...my nitrates are through the roof high. A basic salifert test kit confirms it. Nyos test kit still saying nitrate is low.:rolleyes:
Many, many gallons of water changes later my nitrate is ACTUALLY down where it belongs. I emailed nyos about my findings and they basically replied “gee, we’ve never, ever, ever had this problem reported before but here’s a new test kit for your trouble.”;Bucktooth
So....not particularly trusting my new nyos test kit I pit it against the salifert kit and sure enough, the nyos shows nitrate at 3ish while the salifert is at 25 + or - .
In the meantime I have lost hundreds of dollars worth of chalice and favia type corals. I blame myself first for not questioning results that don’t add up...but then again, i trusted results from nyos which is supposed to be a “top of the line“ company.;Shifty

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I was having big issues of unknown origin with my 90 gallon tank. Now this tank has had challenges..mostly around a move from upstate NY to Colorado where we drove cross country. We overcame all that drama and we’re pretty stable, at least stableish. Things that I purchased online and in LFS are doing great. Then three to four months ago things start to go south. All my numbers look ok with the exception of my nitrate, which is low. Some of my corals are looking not so great and I know very low nitrate is a bad thing...so I add some nitrate. Test again a week or so later and it’s still low...very low actually. So I add more nitrate. :oops:
Now, some may wonder why at this point I would not question these odd results...like where was all this nitrate going? Beats the hell out of me...I’m busy building my house maybe? Lol!! Well,**** happens..so I sent out an ICP test an you can guess what happens...my nitrates are through the roof high. A basic salifert test kit confirms it. Nyos test kit still saying nitrate is low.:rolleyes:
Many, many gallons of water changes later my nitrate is ACTUALLY down where it belongs. I emailed nyos about my findings and they basically replied “gee, we’ve never, ever, ever had this problem reported before but here’s a new test kit for your trouble.”;Bucktooth
So....not particularly trusting my new nyos test kit I pit it against the salifert kit and sure enough, the nyos shows nitrate at 3ish while the salifert is at 25 + or - .
In the meantime I have lost hundreds of dollars worth of chalice and favia type corals. I blame myself first for not questioning results that don’t add up...but then again, i trusted results from nyos which is supposed to be a “top of the line“ company.;Shifty

Sorry for your losses.

25ppm + would not kill corals (seen too many wonderful reefs that hang at 40ppm), but a quick dosing jump, may have done the deed... ;Sorry

Check out some of these highly regarded reefers, phosphates, and nitrates
\https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-parameters-of-some-masters.263/

Agree:
When the NYOS nitrate kit reads right, it is spot on with Salifert. Tried both side by side many times.

To me, Salifert is easier to perform and more accurate at 10ppm or below by using it's sideways view 10 Xs test, but it is sure good to have a crosscheck when any kit comes into question.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NYOS nitrate test kit, have no problem. I don’t add nitrates, many snails a few fish, there’s always nitrates of some sort in the water even if the kit reads low.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added the drops, not the powder and the water turned this color? It’s from a tank that I’m cycling. On my other tank the water stays clear until I add the powder shake and wait five minutes. Any clue to why the water would change color after just adding the drops?

Attachments

• 3D868B71-5B38-4CC0-BF04-4724E42CF14C.jpeg
    3D868B71-5B38-4CC0-BF04-4724E42CF14C.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 23

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nyos also never had a issue with it the readings rise & fall before & after water changes as I would expect them to. Use it on 3 different tanks & get different readings. I have never seen it change color after adding just the liquid though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I've had with NYOS nitrate is the color change not matching the chart at all if NO3 is much above 6. From 0 to 6 it's always the same as Salifert. How old is your test kit?

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nyos also never had a issue with it the readings rise & fall before & after water changes as I would expect them to. Use it on 3 different tanks & get different readings. I have never seen it change color after adding just the liquid though.
I’m still showing nitrite, pretty high. After doing some research I found out that that will throw off any nitrate kit. That would make sense.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I've had with NYOS nitrate is the color change not matching the chart at all if NO3 is much above 6. From 0 to 6 it's always the same as Salifert. How old is your test kit?
Are used to different NYOS. One brand new and one probably two months old.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos is one of those brands that I want to support because I like their styling and I'm stupid like that

But I haven't been impressed with anything they make - except the fish trap! which is quite excellent.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a new NYOS. I like NYOS for other test but the little bottle for Nitrates are too small. I think I contaminated the powder and got odd NO3 numbers. That's when I bought the Hanna HR Nitrate.
I like The Redsea NO3 kit over the NYOS one

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back