Anyone ever heard of Probiotic Reef Salt by Aquaforest

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the probiotic salt for about 6 months, i replaced reefers best with it, IMO no change in my tank, it is a good quality salt, did the probiotics do anything? Not that I noticed.. It mixes up really well and has consistent levels which are nearly at NSW and matched the levels I was dosing to.. The downside for me was having to use it within 48 hours, I like to mix big batches and store for several weeks.. So I switched to their reef salt which has the same levels just no probiotics and again I'm more than happy.. It's easier to use with consistent levels..

I.B.Ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt. I bought the first bucket of salt from drs foster and smith when I received it, it was solid as a rock. On the outside of the bucket it had a note that the batch was tested in August of 2015. I contacted Foster and Smith and they agreed to send out a new bucket. When I received it today, I noticed that it was from the same batch. August of 2015.
Is this salt safe to use? Even though it has been that long? And even if it is solid like a rock ?

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he stated that he uses Instant Ocean

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt. I bought the first bucket of salt from drs foster and smith when I received it, it was solid as a rock. On the outside of the bucket it had a note that the batch was tested in August of 2015. I contacted Foster and Smith and they agreed to send out a new bucket. When I received it today, I noticed that it was from the same batch. August of 2015.
Is this salt safe to use? Even though it has been that long? And even if it is solid like a rock ?

I know this is old, but solidified salt is OK as long as the alk is OK after dissolution. :)

Mazamere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its clear that he works for someone affiliated to Aquaforest when he says “our bacteria are in the lyophilized form...”.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back