Anyone ever seen a grafted tricolor valida?

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a good sized 2 year old colony of ora tricolor valida that i purchased as a frag directly from ora. It's in the past 2 months started developing florescent green tips sworlling down into the branches. It's only on about half the branches but it looks crazy amazing mixed with the eggplant purple of the valida. It is getting blasted with about 500 par from leds and t5. Has anyone seen a valida do this or you think it's picked up green florescent protein from something and it's truly grafting?

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a filter so i havent attempted to take a pic. I'll try and get a pic tonight top down and see if it'll be decent enough to see.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i have a good sized 2 year old colony of ora tricolor valida that i purchased as a frag directly from ora. It's in the past 2 months started developing florescent green tips sworlling down into the branches. It's only on about half the branches but it looks crazy amazing mixed with the eggplant purple of the valida. It is getting blasted with about 500 par from leds and t5. Has anyone seen a valida do this or you think it's picked up green florescent protein from something and it's truly grafting?

Grafting is when you fuse together two corals....

What you are seeing is just a color change. It happens based on different conditions. It could be because of lighting or some other condition.
It is usually based on some sort of spectrum change in your lighting though..

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grafting isn't from fusing 2 corals. A true graft is when a coral picks up the fluorescent proteins of another coral. What you are referring to is fusing of corals. Wwc grafted cap is a wild red monti cap that's picked up green florescent protein. I cant say my valida is a graft yet it could be a color morph but nothing has changed in 2 years in my lighting or parameters.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grafting isn't from fusing 2 corals. A true graft is when a coral picks up the fluorescent proteins of another coral. What you are referring to is fusing of corals. Wwc grafted cap is a wild red monti cap that's picked up green florescent protein. I cant say my valida is a graft yet it could be a color morph but nothing has changed in 2 years in my lighting or parameters.

That may be what happened there but that is not what grafting means..
Grafting is when you fuse or allow two things to grow together..

Picking up proteins from the water or color shift is different.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No a true graft is from picking up florescent proteins. There is a long article written on it if you Google the subject. You're referring to fusing. I get that it's not the true definition of grafting as in the horticulture term of plant grafting but in the reefing comnunity a true graft is from a color picking up florescent proteins of another coral most commonly green.

Either way that's not the point of this post and id like to stay on topic of my question. Thanks for the input though
Will Wohlers

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @shed5

Grafting is the art of growing 1 item off another item. I used to do it for "trees". When the one tree would start getting old, I'd graft it to another one.

Majority of all the fruit trees you find at lowes or home depot are grafted.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the term grafting in the Coral world means something totally different that what the definition stands for.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refer to my post up top on grafting. It is totally different then horticulture.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not at all. Its not around the growth edge. It's in the top 2" of the branches. And it isn't barely green it's bright green swirrling down through the eggplant purple.

Look just above that post meant to link the thread not the post

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's huge patches encompassing the polyp and all the surrounding tissue.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at battlecorals grafted hung it looks identical to that only replace the darker grafting of the hungs with bright florescent green and that's what my valida looks like. I have grafted simplex acro wwc grafted milli and grafted hungs and they all look similar to what's showing on my valida.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a 10 year old article on fusing corals. It's been since proven that a true graft in corals is where they pick up florescent proteins of another coral @Randy Holmes-Farley

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back