Anyone ever seen a grafted tricolor valida?

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe both parties are right here, grafting occurs with the GFP in the same coral and you can also have grafting between two different corals.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an article on it. All grafted acropora in the hobby are from these green proteins not from fusing. Anyway back on topic now please regarding my question. We no longer need to argue the term grafted as to do with corals.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an article on it. All grafted acropora in the hobby are from these green proteins not from fusing. Anyway back on topic now please regarding my question. We no longer need to argue the term grafted as to do with corals.

Just one more piece from the article....

By now you may be asking yourself why the WWC Grafted Cap is referred to as grafted and this is because it was a name used to describe the phenomenon before we realized that there is no grafting of tissue, and that what these corals experience behaves more like an infection of pigments between two corals.

Anyways im with ya... Id still like to see a pic of what you are referring to as the pic from the article you posted I cant see what they are talking about. It looks all green to me ( no swirls)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone can write a article. Anyone can write what ever they want in a article.
I can write a article saying the moon is made of cheese it doesn't make me right or anyone who quotes me.

I mean look up definition of the word grafting.

Do not believe half of what is wrote on the internet.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not wrong. But these aren’t exactly buzzfeed authors...

Anyone can write a article. Anyone can write what ever they want in a article.
I can write a article saying the moon is made of cheese it doesn't make me right or anyone who quotes me.

I mean look up definition of the word grafting.

Do not believe half of what is wrote on the internet.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grafting was thrown around so loosely before the proteins were understood, that it just stuck with big-name Coral companies. They are not true grafts, but the name stuck because that’s what they called them when they made the name. The true definition of grafting found along with fusion.

You have a mutation of proteins, not a grafted coral.

The natural phenomenon of picking up proteins from other algae is not grafting.

WWC never should have called it grafted, and that’s where the confusion comes in. They probably assumed those two pieces of coral grafted together in the ocean, before the scientific studies came out showing the fact they are actually taking up other proteins.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the true definition of grafting is not just for horticulture. The true definition is to transplant living tissue.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true grafted coral would take two specimens. What you're seeing is likely just a form of color mutation. My Valida would get the same green swirls when I used to run LED supps with my T5s.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted a new thread with the pics so they didn't get lost in this thread but I'll post them here also for documentation of this topic.

20190125_000135.jpg

20190125_000140.jpg

20190125_000156.jpg

20190125_000241.jpg

20190125_000253.jpg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do not pick up proteins from other corals. What a fascinating bit of sci fi. In fact I am unaware of any evidence for eukaryote-to-eukaryote gene transfer, except in a truly few exceptional cases like between sea slugs and their stolen algae. The people who discover such exceptional cases become famous and build careers on them. After a decade in the coral research world I've never come across such a thing. If anyone knows of an actual peer-reviewed paper on such a thing I'd love to read about it.

No.

What happens here is fusion (well documented in corals, and this is what grafting means) or somatic mutation. When a streak of tissue in an otherwise red coral turns green, that is a somatic mutation. Not unusal at all for plants or animals to do this. Just especially beautiful in corals because of the fluorescent protein diversity.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's exactly what I'm seeing with mine. I totally love it. Any idea what caused yours to do this?

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's exactly what I'm seeing with mine. I totally love it. Any idea what caused yours to do this?

Not a clue. I had a bunch of different frags and colonies in my tank in the same area that was basically getting the same flow and light and this is the only one that this happened too.

I saw your pic and mine looks a little different. You can see areas that is like a brownish pinkish grafting in there too which you also see the polyps are different colors in too.

You may have something like that but from the pic i see all the same green polyps

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral tissue defense against high levels of light? @Dana Riddle
I am a little hesitant to jump in here... but here goes. As mentioned by @EMeyer, I too am unaware for any fluorescent or chromoprotein horizontal transmission (acquisition from the water column.) The coral photos are beautiful and I think two possibilities exist. First, the chimera. I saw a few examples on reefs in Hawaii (Pocillopora meandrina colonies being brown and green.) The other is simply a response to a change in environmental conditions, such as the coral growing into areas of higher light and/or water motion. Wish I had a little piece of this colony in the lab for some in-depth analyses.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a clue. I had a bunch of different frags and colonies in my tank in the same area that was basically getting the same flow and light and this is the only one that this happened too.

I saw your pic and mine looks a little different. You can see areas that is like a brownish pinkish grafting in there too which you also see the polyps are different colors in too.

You may have something like that but from the pic i see all the same green polyps
I really can't comment other than there are several hundred described colorful proteins (there are probably thousands) and almost all will react differently to environmental conditions.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 85 42.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 48.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back