anyone ever take out there internal overflow to go with a HOB one?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my SCA 90 36x24x24 has a monster of an internal overflow playing with the idea of removing it and going with a lifereef or eshops HOB overflow.

anyone ever done this?

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not but my main question is why would you go from an internal over flow to a hob. If your talking about true hob and not a ghost over flow that is.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was removing an internal I'd replace it with an external overflow vs a HOB. While Lifereef has a 100% solid design against failures you can avoid any issues with a ghost, synergy, or Modular marine external just to name a few. Really the only issue is whether or not your rear panel is tempered. If it was then you really have no other choice than to go with a HOB. There was someone here who did it with a red sea 170 but I forget who it was, I'll have a look and see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the replays I thought I would...haha

the internal overflow takes up so much restate the thing is huge.
not sure I want to risk drilling a $700+ aquarium. I have drilled successful one 40br and one not so successfully...

so the idea was to get the tank space back with the least risk as possible...its all about risk management its a happy medium.

sure I would like an external overflow like MM, ghost, etc. but then i would have to take the think out side its heavy as all get out. 12mm glass, surprised just how heavy it is and drill it then bring it back in. + the risk of cracking the tank..
so just playing around with ideas.

chances are I am just gonna leave it. glue some LR to it for shelf for corals. but while I will have it drained for the relocation just thought I should do something about that dang overflow...really really REALLY wish having SCA drill it was an option when I got it. a cpl mounts after getting it became one :/

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB on my tank going on 3 years now without an issue, they get a bad rap but if set up right there shouldn't be a problem. That being said if it was me I would drill, so much cleaner looking without all the hardware hanging off the back and if you want to cover the tank it's much easier to do so. If you are reluctant to drill it yourself contact a glass company and see if they'll do it for you.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety factor aside something about a hob overflow just doesn't feel permanent. "Monster" internal overflows can be an eye sore too but I still personally feel that is less of an eye sore. If you are going to go through the trouble of cutting this overflow out you might as well go through the trouble of either drilling it or having someone drill it for you.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this tank is empty right? Consider taking the time to get it right before it's got a bunch of water & fish. Look for someone to come & drill for You. How will you plug the hole thru the bottom?internal overflow? Bulkhead & cap I assume.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back