Fiji Cube Low Profile Overflow Internal Skimmer Box Loose

jbacker7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Fiji Cube Profile Overflow Box: https://www.fijicube.com/collections/overflow-box/products/low-profile-external-overflow-box-800pgh

The "skimmer box" that sits inside the tank has a simple slip connection into the bulkhead so it can be removed for easy cleaning.

However, this connection is very loose and the skimmer box falls out easily. It's going to happen sometime when I'm not around and I don't doubt that my sump will overflow with the extra water allowed through.

Has anyone seen a loose connection here with an overflow like this before? Any ideas on how to tighten it up?

Thanks,

Jacob

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the photo from your link, it looks like there is a threaded connection so you can screw on a nut to secure the internal box. Is this not the case?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like in the picture it utilizes an O-Ring on the skimmer box part, could try a thicker O ring to get it to snug up better

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i see now! You could try a larger o-ring, or remove the internal box and add some silicone around the internal slip to achieve the same effect

OP
OP
J

jbacker7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Yeah I was thinking a thicker o-ring as well. The challenge will definitely be finding one.

It seems like a pretty obvious solution which makes me think I might be overlooking something that someone who has gone through this before may have identified.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Yeah I was thinking a thicker o-ring as well. The challenge will definitely be finding one.

It seems like a pretty obvious solution which makes me think I might be overlooking something that someone who has gone through this before may have identified.
only other option would be to check a hardware store that sells pcv pipe and fittings and see if they offer a bushing or sleeve that would make the pipe a bigger diameter. I'm not sure how much wiggle room you have but i'd imageine it'd have to be pretty thin.

OP
OP
J

jbacker7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the skimmer box out today to take a good look at the o-ring.

I noticed the grey pipe coming out of the back of the skimmer box seemed like it wasn't protruding very far from the skimmer box. I circled the part in red in the attached photo.

I pulled that little grey piece and it slid out of the skimmer box a little bit. It probably doubled it's length.

Now the skimmer box is a lot more snug and doesn't wobble around or want to pop out like it did. Makes sense, it was barely hanging in there with the short length of grey pipe before, and now that it is longer there's less movement.

To me, it is now sufficiently tight.

It seems strange that that grey pipe can move in and out of the skimmer box like that, but I suppose I get it. If it was permanently fixed it would probably be an easy point for breakage? I don't know.

But anyway, wanted to get it on the internet that if you have a Fiji Overflow Box with a loose skimmer box fit try to pull that grey pipe out further from the skimmer box for a more secure connection to the overflow bulkhead
Capture.JPG

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you think your sump would over flow, would it over flow with the return pump off? Or only if the overflow box is removed? What sump are you running and on what tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back