Hi everybody, new to salt water and looking for imput on what i should get for it ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What type of return head should I get ?
I have this very return. I utilize a threaded elbow. You can also push into a pvc tube or elbow

OP
OP
W

weeeedoggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you , for my flow , should I grab 2 of those jebao cross flow pumps for my tank or would one be ok ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you , for my flow , should I grab 2 of those jebao cross flow pumps for my tank or would one be ok ?
You want at least 1 on either side. Use to create surface agitation, turbulence, and no dead spots if possible.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 150 gal long 78" x23h x20
Tank , im going to sump it , here are the items I've picked out , let me know if there proper or if I need more thank you for any input there's so much out there it's hard to choose
I'm going reef with fish
Here's what I have
-Fiji Cube FIJI-30 Advanced Reef Sump 2nd Gen
Fiji Cube Low Profile External Overflow Box - 1600 GPH
Here's what I'm looking at

Finnex Titanium Aquarium Heater, ETL Listed UL STD, Redundancy Protection, Heater Guard (800 Watts)

SMATFARM LED Aquarium Light - Coral Reef Light Dimmable A95Watts(±5%) Full Spectrum Sunrise Sunset for Marine Fish Tanks Coral Reef Lamp with Timer Function

Jecod DCP 8500 Sine tech Silent Pump (1370 to 2250 GPH)

IceCap PRO External Turf Scrubber - MEDIUM

Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer

Anything eles I need or should Change would be great to know
Great stuff here, I’d also go with an extra return pump, you could use it to make salt water and if your main ever dies you have one on hand. Also not needed but I wish I had installed one when I was setting up my tank is a UV sterilizer, helps with water clarity and while many argue will help keep the fish healthy and somewhat parasite “safe”. If you pump it from the beginning you can create a closed loop system, just easier to get done now imo.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 2, don’t do by the ratings, that’s typically running the pumps on full blast which you don’t want.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you , so last but no least dry live rock or wet ?
I started with dry live rock, I’m not comfortable with the idea of wet live rock because your not fully sure how the person has managed his/her tank (where you get the wet rock from) also I don’t want any unwanted hitchhikers in my tank. I started with dry live rock, I also liked the purple hue they have and fritz turbo 900, here’s the link and I had no issues cycling my tank. You can add fish fairly quickly after dosing this, just not too many at the same time.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you , so last but no least dry live rock or wet ?
If it were me I'd be using rock from KP or gulfliverock. Never using dry rock again. This isn't a choice you should make off suggestions though. Look at the positives and negatives.

OP
OP
W

weeeedoggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd be using rock from KP or gulfliverock. Never using dry rock again. This isn't a choice you should make off suggestions though. Look at the positives and negatives.
If I were to cycle the dry rock In a garbage pale seed it and such would that save me grief from doing it in tank ?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to cycle the dry rock In a garbage pale seed it and such would that save me grief from doing it in tank ?
Head start but the ugly phase comes for all who use dry rock.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back