New 125 build

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! My husband and I decided to dive into the world of saltwater aquariums and really challenge ourselves with a fish and coral reef. Our 8 year old son, who has autism, has always been a visual guy and loves the movement that our 55gal freshwater goldie tank brings, but has been begging us to get him a saltwater aquarium and we finally caved. We've had the tank for a few weeks now, so this first post might be lengthy to catch you up with what we've done so far.
IMG_6091.jpg

I'm not a person who goes head first into things and I like to research as much as possible before starting something new. So, I watched the 52 weeks of reefing on Bulk Reef Supply's YouTube channel and started the search for equipment. We live in a rural area of Nebraska so just going to the local fish store is a 3 hour round trip and I wanted to do as much research on the internet as possible. I found a used 125 gal aquarium on Facebook Marketplace that looked to be in decent shape, although the owner did disclose that there was a chip in a corner due to a rogue pool ball. He had the tank filled when we went to check it out so we knew it held water, but in hindsight I wish we would have taken a closer look after draining it because it's scratched up in places, which were not as noticeable when it was full. I talked him down to $200 from $250 (it came with a Sun Sun canister filter, which we're not using for the reef aquarium, but I've got a back up now if my canister on my freshwater aquarium dies), we loaded it up in the minivan and set off to the fish store to have it drilled since it wasn't saltwater-ready.

We went to Fish Freaks in Omaha and the owner, Mike, was very kind and showed us all of the stuff we needed for the overflow box and returns. I'm pretty sure he could tell we were absolutely clueless. LOL While Mike drilled the tank an employee took the time to show us the sumps on their tanks and explain the various equipment to us. We picked up an Eshopps Ghost Overflow box, bulkheads, Loc-Line for the return water, gate valves and some dry rock. The overflow box is a Bean Animal style, with a primary, secondary and emergency drain. We got about 30lbs of regular bulk rock and a 5lb chunk of Fiji purple reef rock thinking that would be enough LOL. We decided on CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand and picked up 5 bags for 100lbs total.
IMG_6133 2.jpg
IMG_6198.jpg

We also looked the stands they had. My husband built the stand we have for our 55gal freshwater tank and he did a great job, that stand is very stable. We were still on the fence on what we'd do for a stand, so we waited until he could price out materials. It came out to a savings of about $100 for what he wanted to use, but considering how busy we are, we decided to go back the next day and get an already-assembled birch stand. We also picked up Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt, glass lid, Eshopps sock holder and socks (size XL, came with 2 socks) and a couple Aquatop Max Flow Powerheads. We also picked up a 40gal breeder from PetSmart for our sump.

We decided to do some rearranging in our kids' room and relocated the 55gal freshwater aquarium in their bedroom. We put the stand for the 125gal where the freshwater aquarium was in our living room. We got it up on the stand and that's when I noticed all of the scratches. There are a few that catch my fingernail, but it seemed that most of them were superficial, so I started researching how to get them out. I couldn't find any cerium oxide locally, so I order some and a buffer pad from Amazon. In the meantime, I started researching fish with my son, watched BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube, added some things to my Amazon cart with a refractometer and calibration fluid to test salinity, large display thermometer, a Jebao DCP-5000 Sine Wave Water Return pump, Simplicity 320DC Protein Skimmer, a Hydrofarm Active Aqua 800GPH pump for the skimmer (which we later realized we didn't need because it comes with one) I decided the next step was figuring out what works best for producing water.
IMG_6147.jpg

Our water isn't terrible but we didn't want to deal with really not knowing the effects it could have on a saltwater aquarium. We have a Reverse Osmosis system for drinking and cooking water as well as a water softener, all from Culligan. They offer RO/DI water in 5gal jugs but we would need around 30 of them and would have to pick them up ourselves or wait 2 weeks for delivery. We decided it would be more cost effective over time if we installed an RO/DI system instead. Our not-so-local local fish store had an Extreme Typhoon III 5-stage system as well as Neptune Auto Top Off Kit (ATK), so we made another trip to Omaha. We also returned the Aquatop Max Flow powerheads and picked up two EcoTech VorTech MP40s. I watched what these little guys can do on the BRS 52 weeks of reefing series and they are so cool! So many options for different waves and flow patterns! I also picked up a Red Sea Reef Mature kit even though my husband had picked up Seachem Stability on a previous run to the store.

My husband did the acrylic baffles in the sump based on what we've seen on YouTube videos. The first chamber is for the socks and skimmer, the second chamber will house a refugium, the next space will be for some sort of filter media, then the return chamber. Once that cured for 24 hours we brought it home. Initially, we were going to put the sump under the aquarium in the stand, however, the 40 gallon breeder tank we were using was too wide to fit. Before we had decided on this, we also threw around the idea of putting the sump in our basement. The space right below the area on our main level is being used for storage, but could easily be cleaned up and organized a little to allow space for the sump. The breeder not fitting in the stand forced our hand and the sump was going in the basement. We cut a hole in the corner to make sure we could route pipe through the floor joists around the ventilation duct work, sat the sump on the floor and got to work with piping the plumbing. We used regular white schedule 40 PVC and fittings from Menards. Everything has unions for easy dissembling if necessary.

While my husband worked on the plumbing, I started adding the rock we had to the tank and quickly realized we need more. I am in a local reef society Facebook group and put a call out for anyone in our area that had some. The president of our state reef society responded that he's got a bunch, as well as an Apex EL, UV Sterilizer, a BRS GFO and carbon reactor with pump and some chemicals that he's not using. Talk about a score! He gave us a very fair deal on all of it and really helped us get the process going.

I went through the rock the next day and threw out all of the rock that was heavily crusted with organic matter and decided not to cure the stuff that didn't look so bad. My first attempt at aquascaping was pretty flat, so I stacked some of the rocks to make more caves and bridges. I got some pretty cool pieces from the previous owner that I think will add a lot of dimension to the aquarium. After that, I added the sand and spread it out.
IMG_6219.jpg

We picked up a large BRUTE Rubbermaid trash can from Menards to start filling for RO/DI water. Our RO/DI system came with everything we needed and the instructions were very clear. After installing the float valve and flushing the canisters we were ready to go! The only catch is that this takes FOR.EVER. It is sooooo slow. LOL It was full the next day, so we started adding salt and put one of the MP40s on the side of the can to mix the salt and put in a heater. We purchased 2 500W Finnex heaters from BRS. After about an hour or so, we put in a pump and started moving water to the sump. When the first trash can was depleted we turned on the return pump and started moving the water to the aquarium. We were disappointed when the return lines into the tank only trickled and we realized we have a problem with our return pump. This was originally going under the aquarium in the stand, but now since it's got to push water 12'6" vertically it was on the struggle-bus. Max head on this pump was 13'. I took a video of the output and posted it to our state reef society Facebook group to see if anyone had a used pump available that could handle the vertical distance. It wasn't long until we got a response and later that day we were, once again, on our way to Omaha to pick up a basically brand new ReeFlo Gold Hammerhead Hybrid Return pump. It's an external pump that can move up to 6000 GPH. We had to move around some pipe and get different fittings, but the next day we had great flow as we filled and moved another trash can full of salt water to the aquarium. In all I think we had to refill 4 times before we had enough water in the aquarium and sump. I added the 2 MP40s to each side of the aquarium for flow and added the water clarifiers that came with the sand. Last, I put the glass lid on top, added a heater and thermometer. We turned off the return pump when the aquarium was full so we could tune the overflow box, which basically looked like me upstairs yelling at my husband downstairs, over the noise of the water and the external return pump LOL. We had to prime the return pump and since it was already hard-piped, we had to get creative and weren't quite sure what we had in mind would work. We pumped water up the return pipe to the external return pump until it was as full as possible then turned it on. This was enough to start the syphon. After a LOT of fine adjustments to the ball valve on the return pipe and gate valves on the output pipes, we got the water level in the overflow box to settle. The rush of water through the weir is still audible and we're not sure what to do about that, so if you have any ideas, we're all ears. It's not that bad though. Many times when the freshwater tank needed topped off the flow from the HOB filters were so loud you couldn't hear the TV. ;) After a few hours, I checked the salinity with the refractometer (which I previously calibrated) and added more salt until I got to 35ppt.

I unpacked the secondhand ApexEL I got and started researching the ins and outs of that system. We wanted to have everything organized and my husband had some leftover shelving at his shop, so he brought that home and cut some holes to feed cords through and I mounted the Apex, Energy Bar, and FMM that came with the ATK. I will say that the instructions for the Apex are not the best and even the current videos on their site have not been updated to reflect the most current version of their app. I tried going through the steps in the video and then decided to just follow the steps in the app instead. It went okay after that, even though I still felt like I didn't know what I was doing. The ApexEL comes with a pH probe, as well as a temp probe. I placed those in my refugium compartment in the sump with a probe holder I got from the previous owner of the Apex. The Tasks function on the app is very helpful for adding things and does a good job with walking you though the various steps. However, after plugging a few things I started getting notifications at all hours of the night and spent some time pushing buttons just to get it to stop!

I assembled our Simplicity 320DC Protein Skimmer while my husband worked on plumbing and realized it has an internal pump so the Hydrofarm Active Aqua 800GPH pump we got from Amazon wasn't necessary. We decided to keep it though in case we need a back up for something later. I mounted the controller to our command center and connected it to the Apex. I couldn't figure out what the digital display numbers were telling me and couldn't find an explanation on the stuff that came with it or the website. Yesterday morning when I went to check on everything, the collection cup on the skimmer was overflowing with bubbles and the cup was full. I couldn't remember how to get the cup off and didn't know what to do so I chatted with a Simplicity customer service rep. They advised that the numbers indicate what level of power the skimmer is set to (1-20) was well as the power that was being currently used. The skimmer was running on level 4, so they advised it could be something in the water and asked if it was a new aquarium. I said yes and that we hadn't even added the bacteria starter yet and they asked if we have sand. When they asked that I had remembered reading that the water clarifiers that come with the sand can cause your skimmer to go nuts while it works to remove it. Removing the collection cup was easy, just a small counterclockwise turn and lift off. I dumped the water in the collection cup and put it back. The customer service agent recommended setting the skimmer at a level where the collection cup fills every 4-5 hours and gradually increasing it until we can get up to level 20 during this breaking in process.

I went to put together the Neptune ATK yesterday. I've watched the BRS videos a gazillion times and finally sat down to just do it. Pretty simple, the only thing that hung me up was that they changed the type of valve to the input from one that you put the tubing through with a nut over it to a push valve but did not include that in any instructions that came with the kit or their videos. After figuring it out, I didn't know where I should put it. I asked the #AskBRSTV group on Facebook and they advised in the return compartment in the sump since that's the only place evaporation will be realized. I wasn't sure (and still not) what level I needed to keep the water at, so I just placed it with the lower optical sensor as close to the same height as the last baffle that water flows over before the return. This left the bottom optical sensor completely exposed out of the water. I connected the sensors to the FMM as well as the power to the PMUP (the annoying name for the pump you put in your top off reservoir which we decided would be another BRUTE Rubbermaid trash can) and plugged in the FMM. And, nothing. The power to the FMM was on and the status light was green, which was supposed to mean the ATK was actively filling, but the pump wasn't going. I sat down and played with the Fusion app a bit and got it going, although I don't know exactly what I did and walked away. I started looking into the ATK programming on the Fusion app and read a Facebook group thread about the ATK overflowing the sump somehow and it made me think I better check it. I went to the basement and the bottom and top optical sensor were both underwater with the pump still running. The float valve was not quite high enough for it to close off the flow of water, so I switched the pump to Off on the Fusion app dashboard. I googled my problem, which actually led me to r2r and a series of tutorials by John Halsey. The ATK tutorial mentioned making sure the probes are pushed all the way into the port on the FMM. I went to check and of course, they weren't. You really have to shove them in until you hear a 'click'. After reading the tutorial and understanding more on the Apex Fusion app I was able to properly program them. Although this morning when I checked on it I noticed a small trickle coming from the ATK. The float valve wasn't high enough to cut it off and the pump wasn't running, but a little wiggle of the float valve and moving the tubing around stopped the trickle so maybe there was a small siphon there. I've got the lids on the DT up to promote evaporation to counter the top off overdoing it yesterday. My salinity is low but I'm waiting until l get more evaporation to retest.

When we made that first trip to Fish Freaks in Omaha, we started discussing lighting options with the employee that showed us the various equipment and what it does. He took us straight to the Aqua Illumination 64s and told us we would need 3 or 4 of those. At a price tag of $600+ each. Yikes. I hadn't really looked into what the options are for lighting so I held off until I could research it more. Watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing really opened my eyes up to all of the options there are for lighting. I posted on a Facebook group about the options for our tank and got so much feedback and specifics for our lighting needs. We decided that we would start with AquaticLife 61" T5/HO Hybrid Light w/mounting system for LED Lights for just T5s for now and add the LEDs down the road. I ordered 2 ATI 80W 60" T5 Blue Plus and 2 ATI 80W 60" T5 Aquablue Special bulbs from BRS and those arrived yesterday. I ordered the mount system from Amazon and that will be delivered next week.

Since I've got everything mostly working the way we want I added a dose of Seachem Stability this morning. We might get a clownfish this weekend and follow the BRS Saltwater Guide method of cycling. I do have the Red Sea Reef Ready but after reading the instructions it sounds really complicated. Our Hanna checkers and NYOS Nitrate test kit will be here Monday.

Thanks so much for reading all of this. It's been a very involved process thus far and I'm sure there's more to learn along the way. I'll start to post our progress on this thread. Any constructive criticism or comments, as well as questions are welcome! I've also attached various photos I've taken throughout.

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATK overfilled again. The PMUP shut off but there was still a trickle. I asked John Halsey about it and he said there should be water squirting out of the siphon break (there was not) and to try to stick something like a paper clip in it and test it. I stuck a sewing pin in there and after testing it the trickle went away. :D

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATK overfilled again. The PMUP shut off but there was still a trickle. I asked John Halsey about it and he said there should be water squirting out of the siphon break (there was not) and to try to stick something like a paper clip in it and test it. I stuck a sewing pin in there and after testing it the trickle went away. :D
Sometimes the punched out piece of plastic gets stuck lol

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things to update on.

Our Aqualife Hybrid T5 light fixture came last week, however one end bracket kit and the LED brackets were missing. After a couple email exchanges with Aqualife they shipped the missing parts and I put together the lights on Saturday. My husband installed the L brackets yesterday but after realizing the arm would be too long he had to drill a hole in the bracket so we could center the light fixture above the tank. He broke the drill bit after the first hole, so he's going to do the other bracket with the right bit tonight. Hopefully we'll be able to get the lights hung tonight!

We're struggling a bit with our overflow box. We noticed it would randomly drain, then fill back up again. I posted to a FB group with the problem and someone suggested we drill a hole in our main drain (we have a bean animal style and a hole was drilled in the secondary drain already). We've had high wind over the last couple of days and our power went out yesterday morning, so we decided since the overflow box was empty we would drill the hole. The power came back on and it definitely helped with the trapped air, however we didn't set the secondary drain high enough for the water to completely cover the main drain so now air is loudly getting sucked into the hole on top of the elbow. It would have been nice if it was noted on the overflow box instructions that the secondary drain height would determine the water level in the overflow box. We also watched a number of YouTube videos about piping the overflow box and none of them mentioned this. Because everything is already glued in, we're going to try cutting out the elbow with an oscillating tool and adding a coupler to get some height on it.

As I scrolled through BRSTV's Facebook group, I read a post about the Hanna checker for ammonia and someone had noted that it's only for Freshwater. I looked at the product description on Bulk Reef Supply's website and sure enough, it is for freshwater only. So that explains the "3.00" that has been flashing when I'd test. Ugh. I ordered a Seachem ammonia badge and just stuck it on the tank this morning. I've also messed up my NYOS Nitrate test. I mixed up the lids and put one on the powder reagent that had a drop of saltwater on it and now that's all caked up. I placed an order for another kit this morning.

I'll post a few pics once we get our lights up, hopefully tonight!

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested how you’ll like that light! I want one. When you say end brackets do you mean longer than original? Or just parts we’re missing from the box for the actual light itself?

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipment was just missing one set of brackets and end caps. The box was pretty banged up so they probably fell out somewhere along the way.

I think we'll like it! I've got 2 ATI 80W 60" Blue Plus T5s and 2 ATI 80W 60" AquaBlue Specials on it. Not hung up yet, my husband's got to drill a new hole in the other bracket still.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipment was just missing one set of brackets and end caps. The box was pretty banged up so they probably fell out somewhere along the way.

I think we'll like it! I've got 2 ATI 80W 60" Blue Plus T5s and 2 ATI 80W 60" AquaBlue Specials on it. Not hung up yet, my husband's got to drill a new hole in the other bracket still.
Any updates?

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Yes! I've got a lot to update on and I'm going to try to do a better job to update this as things happen so it's not a book every time I do an update post.

The lights are fantastic. I really like the bulbs we chose as it doesn't blanket everything in royal blue. However, we have yet to get any coral in there so we'll see if that changes.

We've had to do many changes to our setup in general. The way we had the sump plumbed caused what we think is cavitation in our return pump and it quit moving water. This is how we originally had it plumbed.
IMG_6511.jpeg

The return pump was placed on the far left, but the return chamber was on the far right. That upside down U in the return line going to the pump? That's a big no-no. We consulted with the ReeFlo folks and a very nice reefer from a Facebook group reached out about our setup after I posted about this and they both walked us through what we need to change for an optimal setup. We ordered another ReeFlo Barracuda Gold through BRS and decided to drill the side of the sump at the return chamber. We also T'd off the return to allow water back to the sump so we can adjust flow with a ball valve. I also put all of the extra rock I didn't use or throw away in the middle sump chamber. Now our sump looks like this.
IMG_6597.jpeg

This setup has allowed us to modify the flow to the DT without putting back pressure on the return pump and the middle chamber with all of the rock has great flow now as well. We added a Neptune flow meter and changed out the check valve to a clear one just after the UV. Backing off the flow to the DT has eliminated all of the noise we were getting in the overflow box. A few weeks back we also changed the height of some of the elbows in our overflow box and that seemed to help tune in the system as well.

While we waited for the new return pump to get shipped to us, we didn't have water moving through the system at all. The old check valve we had on the return line had failed and the water started to syphon back to the sump. This, combined with the return heads in the display tank being submerged, led to the sump flooding 2 times. We replaced the check valve, drilled holes in the top of the locline return spouts in the display tank and tested the system a few times to make sure we left enough room in the sump for when we turn off the return for feeding, maintenance, etc.

After we got the sump plumbing sorted out, I replenished the water that was removed so we could drill the sump and dumped another bottle of Dr. Tim's and dosed ammonia per the instructions (I had dosed Dr. Tim's the day before our return pump failed). Someone local put up a 20gal aquarium on Facebook Marketplace so I scooped that up for my fish QT tank. I put on a HOB filter, brought out an old air pump, stuck a Seachem Ammonia badge on it, filled it with saltwater and dumped a bottle of BioSpira for bacteria. The cartridges for the filter had carbon in them, so I removed them, cut some filter padding I had for my freshwater tank and stuffed it into the filters. The next day my son and I went to Omaha to get his first fish! He wanted orange clowns and black clowns and there was a breeder in Omaha that we met with. He was amazing. Very willing to share his knowledge of reefing with us and we could tell he really cared about his stock. He scooped up 4 clowns for us, two larger orange clowns, and two smaller black clowns, one a mis-bar.
IMG_6483.jpeg
IMG_6492.jpeg

We are proactively treating all fish/inverts/corals to keep undesirables out of the DT. These guys went through 4 weeks of QT with Copper Power and Seachem MetroPlex. I added Seachem Cuprisorb to get the Copper out of the system and am running carbon to get the MetroPlex out.

After getting the lights on our DT, I noticed just how badly scratched up it is. From a distance it's not very noticeable, but up close it drove me crazy. It was unbearable to think that we put so much money into getting this up and going that the one part that would be looked at the most looked less than perfect. My husband gave me the green light to replace it so we ordered a new 125 gallon from our LFS and had them drill it for the same overflow box. I also bought a new overflow box to sell with the scratched aquarium since it was useless without it. I put up an ad on our state reef society Facebook group and ended up selling it to someone with a new 900g build that is using it as a QT! We definitely lost money, but it was a lesson learned. Switching everything out meant I had to change the aquascape. I made more caves and areas where the fish could wind through but didn't go very tall. I want to get lots of LPS and softies with a ton of movement and didn't want to be limited with height of the rocks. I also figured that I can always add more rock if I wanted to.

The clowns were moved to our DT last Wednesday, so they've been in there for a little over a week and are doing great. Clowns are just straight up weird. I've never seen fish behavior like this before. Researching these guys before buying them is a good idea because some of the things they do is startling! From laying on their side to sleep to twitching when displaying submissive behavior, they are very entertaining. I am a bit concerned that I've got 3 females and 1 male. I think the black misbar is male because I've seen the submissive twitching when the two larger orange clowns come near him, but they picked on the other black clown pretty hard in quarantine. They come at that one like a missile and it does not submit. They got along great for the first few days when I moved them to the DT, but I've noticed the bullying behavior starting back up, so I'm going to keep an eye on them.
IMG_6702.jpeg
A9338C97-A40A-46F3-98CC-E39ECC70E96F.jpeg

We've had minimal algae growth throughout cycling and even now. I did notice diatoms on the rocks during cycling, but they went away and now we have a green algae showing up on some of the rocks.
1F52A033-7A33-4494-91A6-79C65828AAC9.jpeg

I'm going to our LFS to pick up a CUC this weekend. I'm going to start with Trochus, Astraea, and maybe a scarlet and neon blue stripe hermit. I want to add Nassarius but I might have to order them online. I like the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner shrimp as well. Since I don't have a ton of algae growth right now, I'm going to pick up some algae to supplement their diet. I do have algae growing on the glass everyday and last week I noticed these super tiny white dots while cleaning the glass. Then they started to move! The back glass is painted black so they really stood out against the dark color and there were hundreds of them. I also see them swimming in the water column. I posted an ID request to Facebook and they were identified as baby pods. I wanted to get a closer look to make sure, so I got out my macro lens clip that I use on my phone to take pictures of baby monarch caterpillars hatching from eggs (whole other hobby LOL). Here's what I saw:
IMG_6760.jpeg

Indeed, baby pods! I'm not sure how they got there since I used dry rock, but some thought they may have come in on the live sand.

Our local Petco had their $1 per gallon sale so I picked up a 20 long, heater, HOB filter, BioSpira, and collection box for my invert/coral QT. I've ordered a cheap strip light from Amazon to get the corals through QT so I'm excited and a little nervous to see how well that works. There's a reefer not very far away that has some beginner-friendly corals he's going to frag for me and I'll probably get the QT setup today/tomorrow and bring home my first corals next week.

I've got my list of the next fish to add and it goes a little something like this:
Goby + Shrimp (I'm getting some egg crate and going to sew netting onto it and cut the crate to shape any gaps in my QT so he doesn't jump out)
Yellow Tang
Banggai Cardinals
Flame Angel
Bristletooth Tomeni Tang

I'm unsure of the order in which we'll introduce them, so if you've got suggestions, I'd love the advice!

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I've got a lot to update on and I'm going to try to do a better job to update this as things happen so it's not a book every time I do an update post.

The lights are fantastic. I really like the bulbs we chose as it doesn't blanket everything in royal blue. However, we have yet to get any coral in there so we'll see if that changes.

We've had to do many changes to our setup in general. The way we had the sump plumbed caused what we think is cavitation in our return pump and it quit moving water. This is how we originally had it plumbed.
IMG_6511.jpeg

The return pump was placed on the far left, but the return chamber was on the far right. That upside down U in the return line going to the pump? That's a big no-no. We consulted with the ReeFlo folks and a very nice reefer from a Facebook group reached out about our setup after I posted about this and they both walked us through what we need to change for an optimal setup. We ordered another ReeFlo Barracuda Gold through BRS and decided to drill the side of the sump at the return chamber. We also T'd off the return to allow water back to the sump so we can adjust flow with a ball valve. I also put all of the extra rock I didn't use or throw away in the middle sump chamber. Now our sump looks like this.
IMG_6597.jpeg

This setup has allowed us to modify the flow to the DT without putting back pressure on the return pump and the middle chamber with all of the rock has great flow now as well. We added a Neptune flow meter and changed out the check valve to a clear one just after the UV. Backing off the flow to the DT has eliminated all of the noise we were getting in the overflow box. A few weeks back we also changed the height of some of the elbows in our overflow box and that seemed to help tune in the system as well.

While we waited for the new return pump to get shipped to us, we didn't have water moving through the system at all. The old check valve we had on the return line had failed and the water started to syphon back to the sump. This, combined with the return heads in the display tank being submerged, led to the sump flooding 2 times. We replaced the check valve, drilled holes in the top of the locline return spouts in the display tank and tested the system a few times to make sure we left enough room in the sump for when we turn off the return for feeding, maintenance, etc.

After we got the sump plumbing sorted out, I replenished the water that was removed so we could drill the sump and dumped another bottle of Dr. Tim's and dosed ammonia per the instructions (I had dosed Dr. Tim's the day before our return pump failed). Someone local put up a 20gal aquarium on Facebook Marketplace so I scooped that up for my fish QT tank. I put on a HOB filter, brought out an old air pump, stuck a Seachem Ammonia badge on it, filled it with saltwater and dumped a bottle of BioSpira for bacteria. The cartridges for the filter had carbon in them, so I removed them, cut some filter padding I had for my freshwater tank and stuffed it into the filters. The next day my son and I went to Omaha to get his first fish! He wanted orange clowns and black clowns and there was a breeder in Omaha that we met with. He was amazing. Very willing to share his knowledge of reefing with us and we could tell he really cared about his stock. He scooped up 4 clowns for us, two larger orange clowns, and two smaller black clowns, one a mis-bar.
IMG_6483.jpeg
IMG_6492.jpeg

We are proactively treating all fish/inverts/corals to keep undesirables out of the DT. These guys went through 4 weeks of QT with Copper Power and Seachem MetroPlex. I added Seachem Cuprisorb to get the Copper out of the system and am running carbon to get the MetroPlex out.

After getting the lights on our DT, I noticed just how badly scratched up it is. From a distance it's not very noticeable, but up close it drove me crazy. It was unbearable to think that we put so much money into getting this up and going that the one part that would be looked at the most looked less than perfect. My husband gave me the green light to replace it so we ordered a new 125 gallon from our LFS and had them drill it for the same overflow box. I also bought a new overflow box to sell with the scratched aquarium since it was useless without it. I put up an ad on our state reef society Facebook group and ended up selling it to someone with a new 900g build that is using it as a QT! We definitely lost money, but it was a lesson learned. Switching everything out meant I had to change the aquascape. I made more caves and areas where the fish could wind through but didn't go very tall. I want to get lots of LPS and softies with a ton of movement and didn't want to be limited with height of the rocks. I also figured that I can always add more rock if I wanted to.

The clowns were moved to our DT last Wednesday, so they've been in there for a little over a week and are doing great. Clowns are just straight up weird. I've never seen fish behavior like this before. Researching these guys before buying them is a good idea because some of the things they do is startling! From laying on their side to sleep to twitching when displaying submissive behavior, they are very entertaining. I am a bit concerned that I've got 3 females and 1 male. I think the black misbar is male because I've seen the submissive twitching when the two larger orange clowns come near him, but they picked on the other black clown pretty hard in quarantine. They come at that one like a missile and it does not submit. They got along great for the first few days when I moved them to the DT, but I've noticed the bullying behavior starting back up, so I'm going to keep an eye on them.
IMG_6702.jpeg
A9338C97-A40A-46F3-98CC-E39ECC70E96F.jpeg

We've had minimal algae growth throughout cycling and even now. I did notice diatoms on the rocks during cycling, but they went away and now we have a green algae showing up on some of the rocks.
1F52A033-7A33-4494-91A6-79C65828AAC9.jpeg

I'm going to our LFS to pick up a CUC this weekend. I'm going to start with Trochus, Astraea, and maybe a scarlet and neon blue stripe hermit. I want to add Nassarius but I might have to order them online. I like the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner shrimp as well. Since I don't have a ton of algae growth right now, I'm going to pick up some algae to supplement their diet. I do have algae growing on the glass everyday and last week I noticed these super tiny white dots while cleaning the glass. Then they started to move! The back glass is painted black so they really stood out against the dark color and there were hundreds of them. I also see them swimming in the water column. I posted an ID request to Facebook and they were identified as baby pods. I wanted to get a closer look to make sure, so I got out my macro lens clip that I use on my phone to take pictures of baby monarch caterpillars hatching from eggs (whole other hobby LOL). Here's what I saw:
IMG_6760.jpeg

Indeed, baby pods! I'm not sure how they got there since I used dry rock, but some thought they may have come in on the live sand.

Our local Petco had their $1 per gallon sale so I picked up a 20 long, heater, HOB filter, BioSpira, and collection box for my invert/coral QT. I've ordered a cheap strip light from Amazon to get the corals through QT so I'm excited and a little nervous to see how well that works. There's a reefer not very far away that has some beginner-friendly corals he's going to frag for me and I'll probably get the QT setup today/tomorrow and bring home my first corals next week.

I've got my list of the next fish to add and it goes a little something like this:
Goby + Shrimp (I'm getting some egg crate and going to sew netting onto it and cut the crate to shape any gaps in my QT so he doesn't jump out)
Yellow Tang
Banggai Cardinals
Flame Angel
Bristletooth Tomeni Tang

I'm unsure of the order in which we'll introduce them, so if you've got suggestions, I'd love the advice!
I am newer to the hobby than you are honestly. I just liked the detail you explained everything and i wanted to see where you guys are with the build.
Myself i bought a used 120 (4x2x2) and i am starting it in the apartment as my house is being renovated currently (about 6 months to a year out). I too started with trying to save money and an economic build but have spent over 5k already and the used tank kinda doesnt seem like the smartest investment. I have to do a build update soon too.

But as far as advice i think you are doing a great job. Keep it up

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am newer to the hobby than you are honestly. I just liked the detail you explained everything and i wanted to see where you guys are with the build.
Myself i bought a used 120 (4x2x2) and i am starting it in the apartment as my house is being renovated currently (about 6 months to a year out). I too started with trying to save money and an economic build but have spent over 5k already and the used tank kinda doesnt seem like the smartest investment. I have to do a build update soon too.

But as far as advice i think you are doing a great job. Keep it up
I’ll check out your build!

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS this weekend and started a clean up crew. It's slim-pickings out there with Covid, but I was able to bring home:

4 Astraea snails
2 Turbo Margarita snails
1 Neon Blue Stripe Hermit crab
4 Scarlet Hermit crabs

This doesn't seem like much, but I don't want to get a bunch of stuff just to watch them starve. I'm planning on doing QT for 76 days and will probably add more as I go. It's going to be difficult to keep tabs on what I added on what day, but my LFS is supposed to get a saltwater delivery in on Thursday so I might go Friday to get first look.

The stand for the 20 long we picked up won't be here until tomorrow, so I decided to switch my Invert/Coral QT to the 20 we had and was empty after the clowns did their time and use the 20 long for fish going forward. After temp acclimating and making sure my salinity matched, I plopped them into the fish QT that I used for my clowns. I had ran Cuprisorb for about a week to get the Copper Power out. I also topped off the tank with fresh saltwater. My Blue Stripe didn't come out of it's shell at all since I put him in, so today I ran a copper test with my Hanna Checker and it came back at .26ppm. I quickly drained 75% of the water and moved the setup to a temporary location and started to set up the 20 long. I'm running the following on my invert/coral QT:

This cheap light:

This heater:

A Hydor Koralia Nano that I can't find where I got it from

A Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel Filter
Learn more:

Digital Display Thermometer and Alert

Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge

Dosed with Bio-Spira

Rock and biomedia in filter from DT sump.

After temp acclimating, they all seem to be doing much better in a 0% copper environment. I definitely goofed up by not testing the water in the other QT to make sure all of the copper was removed. Live and learn! I took these pictures tonight.
IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the blue hermit didn't make it. I don't know if it was the copper or something else. My daughter had actually found a pincher and a leg on the bottom of the aquarium, then the next day I found the rest of the body. I considered that it could be a molt at first, but the back end of the body was fleshy, so it was definitely not a molt. One of the turbo snails didn't make it as well. I added a algae wafer that I feed my freshwater pleco and the crabs seem to enjoy that. There's a good buildup of film algae on the glass so I think everyone has plenty to eat.

I've connected with a local reefer who offered up some of his corals at a decent price to help me to get started. We got a Rainbow Ricordia Mushroom, Candy Cane Coral, a Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA), Scrambled Eggs Zoanthid, and a Goblins On Fire Zoanthid. They all opened up after about 30 minutes and everyone seems to be done well. As long as I don't notice anything amiss with the BTA I will add it to the DT after 16 days, following the QT advice from Humble.fish. Everything else will stay for 45 or 72 days, I'm not sure which I'm going to go with yet. I did notice this little feather duster hitching a ride in a snail shell:

Here's a couple of pictures I took yesterday of my BTA, candy cane and ricordia:

I've also noticed a couple vermetid snail tubes on one of the zoa frags. I will probably cut them off or super glue over them before adding them to the display tank.

I've also ordered my first fish from Live Aquaria. They had 2 orange-spotted gobies and a red banded shrimp up in Diver's Den and I ordered 6 Blue Green Black Axil Chromis. Everything arrived healthy and after acclimation I added them to to their respective QTs. The shrimp went into the coral/invert observation tank and the chromis and gobies went into the fish QT. The shrimp was much smaller than I was expecting. It immediate hid under the little tupperware of crushed coral I added for it. Later that evening I saw that one of the scarlet hermits were trying to get at it, so I tried to situate the tupperware dish where the hermit couldn't get to it. Unfortunately I don't think it worked and a couple of days later I found the remains of the shrimp. I think next time I will add some egg crate as a barrier to make sure that the hermit crabs can't get to that area of the tank.

I'm sure I probably should have started sooner, but I'm starting to test the water for alkalinity, calcium, phosphates and magnesium. If the inverts, fish or corals were showing signs of distress or didn't look healthy, I probably would have started sooner, but other than the few deaths I've had with inverts, everything has been going well so far as far as live animal health goes.

We've been having issues with our RODI water. The output is now around 35PPM and we've determined we needed a booster pump. When installing it last week, my husband dropped the giant transformer that it comes with and broke it so we had to order a new one. We got it going once we put it in line with the RODI system instead of before the system, but I'm still trying to figure out why our TDS is higher after the DI resin cartridge than it is before it. It's color-changing resin that's only about 50% depleted, but I will probably change out the filter anyway.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back