Anyone had Any Experience with Tridacna crocea clams??

Didgeridoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw some in my LFS and thought they looked really cool. I just wanted to get some reefer opinions before I even consider. They’re kind of expensive

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in the past. I plan on it again. Crocea and maxima are my favorite. I dont know if you have a specific question but ive seen a lot of good care info given here if you search it. Look at them like taking care of acros except higher nutrients are not an issue ( dont go crazy) and your 300 par might not be enough.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a strong light for them, and have confidence in your reef and husbandry, then go for it. Its very satisfying to see them sit there happily.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T. crocea is my favorite clam by far. Smaller than all the others, pretty like a maxima, and the hardiest species I've dealt with. They also do a very good job staying in place on the rock work, as they're known as rock-boring clams. In the wild, they dissolve their way into a crevasse in the rock, so only their mantle shows. As they grow, they release more chemicals to dissolve the rock around them to make room. I've never heard of this happening in a tank, but it would be cool to witness.

I had this one in a 5 gallon for close to a year and a half before the tank crashed for some unrelated reason.
392F3275-C2E7-4D41-8911-CC39FF6105EC.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back