New T. crocea clam: potential problem?

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the second day of having a 3" crocea clam (from ClamMania) and has a wide open incurrent siphon (gaped?). You can see completely inside it. It responds really well to stimuli and the mantle itself looks great. My parameters are thus: 1.026 salinity, pH 8, alkalinity 8-9, P04 0.5 and N03 10. I'm told that the gaping is a water quality issue... but wanted to check with other folk before I take any action. Could this just be the adjustment to the new home??

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spoke with them and they want me to do a large water change. I will try to take pictures when I get home. But it is wiiiiide open... with only about 1/4" of mantle extended. Like I said.. it still reacts just fine and the mantle that is showing looks good. But... I'm worried.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'm noticing is that in the morning the clam looks great. Mantle extended, incurrent siphon a slit. It starts to gape as the day progresses.

One issue is that my tank is in a crowded classroom and pH probably drops throughout the day with C02 buildup. At night time, my chaeto is lit and growing throughout the night. So maybe a pH issue during the day maybe? Maybe I will have my students monitor the pH today.

But it's getting warm enough now that I can open up windows during the day.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back