Anyone had long term trachy success? >2 years

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term success with trachy? I am trying again, but has always been one of the hardest long term corals for me. Very curious to speak with people who have trachys and scolys doing well beyond 2 years, I understand they do fine for a short period for most (less than 2 years) I am curious of people who have kept these long term.
Thank you

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term success with trachy? I am trying again, but has always been one of the hardest long term corals for me. Very curious to speak with people who have trachys and scolys doing well beyond 2 years, I understand they do fine for a short period for most (less than 2 years) I am curious of people who have kept these long term.
Thank you
I have kept many trachy and scoly beyond 2 years. I have kept hundreds of trachy and most Indo trachy are very hardy except a few of the less fleshy cone bottom varieties.

Australian trachy varieties almost all die within 4 months. The only Aussie trachy variety I routinely have success keeping are the neon green and black pin pinstripe ones.

All my Aussie rainbow trachys died within 6 months and most within 3 despite trying numerous lighting/flow/feeding combinations.

scoly in general just need fairly clean water and occasional feeding to live a long time.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many trachy and scoly beyond 2 years. I have kept hundreds of trachy and most Indo trachy are very hardy except a few of the less fleshy cone bottom varieties.

Australian trachy varieties almost all die within 4 months. The only Aussie trachy variety I routinely have success keeping are the neon green and black pin pinstripe ones.

All my Aussie rainbow trachys died within 6 months and most within 3 despite trying numerous lighting/flow/feeding combinations.

scoly in general just need fairly clean water and occasional feeding to live a long time.
Thank you, yes the aussies seem very difficult - I do notice the neon green variety being a bit easier, rainbows have proven quite difficult - and being unsure what to do for them I may try some out of the ordinary things. Thanks for the post!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Wellso (Trachy's cousin) for 15 years or so. Pretty hardy.

1626403123137.png

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous piece!
Indo?
Curious on how growth has been, what size was it when you got it?

No idea if it's Indo. I got this when lineage wasn't mentioned or fancy-pants names or ridiculous pricing.

As far as growth, it's definitely larger (maybe doubled in size), but probably because of my lack of care for a couple years. I had put this in my sump and hadn't noticed that xenia was over-growing the wellso, killing or retracting that tissue. Once I discovered this, I pulled it out of the sump and back into the DT, where over about a year it recovered and now had two "babies" below. You can see one decent size kid on the left and a small baby just to the right of the kid. I think the xenia cause the separation of tissue. When I get around to it, I'll try cutting off the babies.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if it's Indo. I got this when lineage wasn't mentioned or fancy-pants names or ridiculous pricing.

As far as growth, it's definitely larger (maybe doubled in size), but probably because of my lack of care for a couple years. I had put this in my sump and hadn't noticed that xenia was over-growing the wellso, killing or retracting that tissue. Once I discovered this, I pulled it out of the sump and back into the DT, where over about a year it recovered and now had two "babies" below. You can see one decent size kid on the left and a small baby just to the right of the kid. I think the xenia cause the separation of tissue. When I get around to it, I'll try cutting off the babies.
This is awesome... if you ever successfully cut one of those babies... Please let me know, that thing is a beauty.
I don't plan on feeding my new ones directly at all to be honest, I am guessing if you had it in the sump for a while you may not be feeding that thing directly either?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back