Anyone have an MBA degree?

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious who has an MBA degree. I'm thinking of going back to school and getting a Masters in Business Management, no sure of which specialty thou. Its pretty pricey so I'm weighing my options. Mostly looking for information on how an MBA Degree would tie into the hospitably field, what kink of jobs are available, average starting salary, how this particular degree would advance my career, etc. etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please help me decide...

Jovany,

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always good to have, but in my opinion unless you get it from a top tier school it's a waste of money.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion unless you get it from a top tier school it's a waste of money.

The disparaging remarks are completely unnecessary..., an MBA degree would most definitely help your career goals...and will expose you to aspects of running a business you might not be currently aware of and will let you get a glimpse into other fields. You may even end up managing researchers such as myself... I wouldn't like having a boss with anything less than an MBA and the people that hire me know that about me and my colleagues who also have PhDs.

That being said, the degree is not only a learning opportunity but also is symbolic to most employers. It demonstrates that you have the willingness to learn, the drive to better yourself, and a desire to be ahead of the pack just to name a few. The specialty isn't as important as holding the degree, I have had job offers at law firms with my undergrad in engineering...it shows that I can learn and the firm can teach me what I need to know. You won't regret getting the degree, and there are several programs that alleviate the cost of post graduate education. I actually make money as a student.

Last edited by a moderator:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on my way to one,It will deffinitly bump your pay, make you more marketable as a employee. Also if your currently employed they might chip in. I know tdbank anything batch and up they contribute 2450 a samester not alot but it's somthing. Also like my Mom always use to say " wouldn't you rather be ( insert your age and how long it would take you to get it here) and have a MBA then to be that age and not have it. Every year you wait is one less year you'll live making less and knowing less then you currently are.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The disparaging remarks are completely unnecessary..., an MBA degree would most definitely help your career goals...and will expose you to aspects of running a business you might not be currently aware of and will let you get a glimpse into other fields. You may even end up managing researchers such as myself... I wouldn't like having a boss with anything less than an MBA and the people that hire me know that about me and my colleagues who also have PhDs.

That being said, the degree is not only a learning opportunity but also is symbolic to most employers. It demonstrates that you have the willingness to learn, the drive to better yourself, and a desire to be ahead of the pack just to name a few. The specialty isn't as important as holding the degree, I have had job offers at law firms with my undergrad in engineering...it shows that I can learn and the firm can teach me what I need to know. You won't regret getting the degree, and there are several programs that alleviate the cost of post graduate education. I actually make money as a student.

100% agree with this. I only have a B.S. but its helped me tremendously. Doesn't hurt that I'm certified through about 10 other IT companies as well.

In my opinion, a Masters will only help your career progress.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The disparaging remarks are completely unnecessary...

With that said, I apologize to the op. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I just reread what I wrote and realized it came off wrong and not what I had in mind. I studied engineering for undergrad and went straight into finance trading commodities. For me personally it wouldn't have really helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

angelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MBA is a Postgraduate degree that is awarded to the student who have mastered the study of business.MBA degree is the most prestigious degree in the world.In MBA degree there are so many disciplines like Accounting,Business Management,Finance,Marketing,Human Resources Management.There are alot of jobs in MBA like HR,Bank Manager in Axis banks,HDFC banks,Starting Salary is 30K...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MBA is a Postgraduate degree that is awarded to the student who have mastered the study of business.MBA degree is the most prestigious degree in the world.In MBA degree there are so many disciplines like Accounting,Business Management,Finance,Marketing,Human Resources Management.There are alot of jobs in MBA like HR,Bank Manager in Axis banks,HDFC banks,Starting Salary is 30K...

Angelina welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my MBA from Uconn with MagnaCumLaude distinction and I work at a boarding school as a residential program supervisor. In Connecticut, MBAs among unemployed people are a dime a dozen and I can't find a decent job in my field. I have bachelors degrees in Finance and Economics and I really hoped to get a job using my econ degree. I went to grad school for Finance because it was more lucrative, but only if you can get your foot in the door. 5-10 years ago, an MBA would command a starting salary in the 65-80k range, but now I see a lot of people taking the jobs that people with Bachelors used to get in the 40-45k range. The sky is the limit once you get your foot in the door, but that can be easier said than done. Now, unless you have a bunch of experience to go along with the degree, you have a good chance of standing in the unemployment line with so many others.

rjbesch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my MBA from Uconn with MagnaCumLaude distinction and I work at a boarding school as a residential program supervisor. In Connecticut, MBAs among unemployed people are a dime a dozen and I can't find a decent job in my field. I have bachelors degrees in Finance and Economics and I really hoped to get a job using my econ degree. I went to grad school for Finance because it was more lucrative, but only if you can get your foot in the door. 5-10 years ago, an MBA would command a starting salary in the 65-80k range, but now I see a lot of people taking the jobs that people with Bachelors used to get in the 40-45k range. The sky is the limit once you get your foot in the door, but that can be easier said than done. Now, unless you have a bunch of experience to go along with the degree, you have a good chance of standing in the unemployment line with so many others.
This is my problem. I don't have a MBA, just a B.S. in business management and I have been out of work almost two years. I can't find work because I am overqualified. So I enrolled back into school as of last summer into a physical therapy program as they are in high demand. Around here business degrees are a dime a dozen and only seem to be as good as a diploma. Good luck to the O.P. in your ventures, I have enjoyed school much more this time around.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an MBA from a very good school here in Chicago (ranked in top 50). It has helped my career and salary, but experience still outweighs all of that. I will agree if its not from a top teir school (Havard, U of Chicago, Northwester, etc) don't expect employers to be fighting for you. You'll just become another MBA along with the rest of us ;) I don't think it's worth the full cost unless you have some sort of tuition assistance or scholarship.

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an MBA but I did obtain my Master's in Biological Engineering. From UC Davis. Honestly though, what matters is how far you want to get in life. Setting goals and obtaining them are means to challenge our very own abilities. I did the program right after my undergrad from San Francisco State University (Goooooo Gators...lol) I wanted to challenge myself because I always had people telling me that I couldn't do it but that small number of people that continue to support me said I could do it.

I just didn't see myself living the life that my other friends have I wanted more, a more promising future that's why I choose that route. But honestly, it only matters if your obtaining a super awesome job that requires very special needs.

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to an ex-board member of apple and microsoft last week and she said "MBA's are handed out like candy these days.."

At first I was kinda offended..like what do you mean like candy!?? (and not because I have one but because one day I will!)

But then the conversation went on and I learned that not only was she worth over 40m but did not have a business related degree at all. She held two masters however, one in Anthropology and the other in Linguistics and played an intricate role in the marketing side of microsoft and apple for quite some time into the nineties. The point she wanted me to get was that employers look for not only business related degrees but degrees that show a different level of discipline and focus. Her degrees in anthropology and linguistics were perfect for her professional focus in marketing and allowed her to excel with two really large companies!!

Last edited:

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few degrees seem to be what they used to be. It is more competitive than ever before, and while an advanced degree can help, it is no guarantee of gainful employment. Seems like finding a way to work for one's self is the best way to go these days. An MBA could help with that too.

It is what you do with an MBA that matters. It is so much more than one decision. You could probably make it a great decision, or play it out so that it would be a waste of time. Depends on what opportunities you have and take. Best of luck in figuring it out!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an undergraduate (aero) engineering and decades later got an mba on top.

It has opened some doors especially where I work as an engineer and they wanted business experience on top of the technical.

I do agree that if possible a top teir school with a thesis is the way to go.

For business like at the factory I worked at it seemed the managers thought I was an engineer and the engineers thought I was a manager. LOL

I also agree that experience with the drgree is what is important.

perhaps an engineering masters would have helped my engineering prospects.

But who knows?

my .02

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back