Anyone have experience growing codium?

I have codium and it is doing well in fact it is the only algae who does well. The red algae died and the caulerpa is not doing so well, as it grows, become pretty then die. A few month later it comes back and the cycle restart. My rabbit fish and elfii angel like codium and eat it. When my algae tank has too much codium, i grab some codium and dump it in their tank. I is gone in on or 2 days, depending on the quantity I give them. However my codium is not rooted. it king of float in place.
 
I have codium and it is doing well in fact it is the only algae who does well. The red algae died and the caulerpa is not doing so well, as it grows, become pretty then die. A few month later it comes back and the cycle restart. My rabbit fish and elfii angel like codium and eat it. When my algae tank has too much codium, i grab some codium and dump it in their tank. I is gone in on or 2 days, depending on the quantity I give them. However my codium is not rooted. it king of float in place.
I always wondered if it needed to root before taking off. Guess not!
 
Whenever I find a nice piece attached to a rock, I throw it in my tank. It's very common here on the east end of Long Island.

 
Whenever I find a nice piece attached to a rock, I throw it in my tank. It's very common here on the east end of Long Island.

But it never lasts for you? Or is that a big chunk in the background? Phones a bit blurry could be a slimer
 
Yes, thats a chunk in the back. In Montauk, out east of here it is all over the beaches at low tide. If I wanted to walk in the water, I could collect huge amounts of it but I don't need it and that place is about an hour from here. There is a beach behind my house but I never see codium here.

I had a lot of it here many years ago but I also had hair algae.
My urchins chew it up.

 
Yes, thats a chunk in the back. In Montauk, out east of here it is all over the beaches at low tide. If I wanted to walk in the water, I could collect huge amounts of it but I don't need it and that place is about an hour from here. There is a beach behind my house but I never see codium here.

I had a lot of it here many years ago but I also had hair algae.
My urchins chew it up.

Those chunks still look pretty big in your current DT! Mine is really thin, bunched together, and dark dark green. I wonder if there are multiple varieties? Super cool you can go look for stuff in your backyard. Not the case in Ohio.
 
Those chunks still look pretty big in your current DT! Mine is really thin, bunched together, and dark dark green. I wonder if there are multiple varieties? Super cool you can go look for stuff in your backyard. Not the case in Ohio.

There are many species of codium, yes. Some grow in colder water than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codium
 
Most years I collect some codium and throw it in my tank.. It is very common here in Long Island NY and is all over the beaches at low tide. It only lasts a couple of months in a reef. I know my urchins eat it. I always have urchins so I am not sure how long it would last without them but I doubt it would be for more than a few months which is probably why it's not found in the tropics. (I think) 🆒
How do you think Codium would do in a large Geo's Reef Algae Reactor?
 
I can't keep local codium more than a couple of months in a tropical tank. Maybe different types do better. But it does look real good while it is alive.
 
I’ve been keeping Codium for some years now. It just popped up one day. It may have come in from the NSW I collect or on a coral.

Mine has sprouted in several locations and has at times been a gold colour. Now, it has mostly dark green almost black and is slow growing.

My previous yellow tank ate it.

I wouldn’t keep it for nutrient exchange - Chaeto is much better for that.

It doesn’t have to be attached to a rock to grow well.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new