Anyone Have Experience With Geometric Hawk Fish? Very Beautiful!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with these guys? They'd be a great addition for my 20...they're b beautiful, bottom dwellers, and inexpensive here. My only concern is their diet...how willing are they to accept prepared foods? 1688067040976.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had it in the past; very nice looking fish.

Never out in the open, was always hiding except at feeding time.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
initially misyds, then it ate everything floating by his hiding corner.
I do have a lot of hiding places in my tank so I might not see it much if I add it...then again, when I did see it that would really be fun. I have a Greissenger Goby in a Pico and when I see him it's a sight to behold!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't lack respect for life if you were to take home an animal you aren't prepared to care for.

It's an easy fish. They take prepared, pellets, live, whatever. Mine came out and was quite active after a few weeks. They are not bottom dwellers at all. They are predators. No he won't mess with your CUC. He will love mysis though. If you have sexy shrimpaybr I'd worry. These guys are too small to even mess with pom pom crabs. The other variants of hawkfish aren't as CUC safe. Good luck.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't lack respect for life if you were to take home an animal you aren't prepared to care for.

It's an easy fish. They take prepared, pellets, live, whatever. Mine came out and was quite active after a few weeks. They are not bottom dwellers at all. They are predators. No he won't mess with your CUC. He will love mysis though. If you have sexy shrimpaybr I'd worry. These guys are too small to even mess with pom pom crabs. The other variants of hawkfish aren't as CUC safe. Good luck.
Thanks for the info and exactly! It's that respect for life that leads me to figure out how to have success before making a purchase. Thanks!

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They aren’t actually related to hawkfish at all

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t actually related to hawkfish at all
Classification aside. They are predators who eat everything you throw at them and they are not bottom dwellers. They also happen to not mess with small inverts.

In regards to commercial trade they are absolutely hawkfish. Worldwide, in Florida, Texas, and Thailand now we know. The geometric pygmy is traded as a hawkfish. I do believe that your argument was with the trade and not me.

The importance of OP's question is not in it it's scientific classification but it's care requirements.

It's not a hawkfish. How nice.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classification aside. They are predators who eat everything you throw at them and they are not bottom dwellers. They also happen to not mess with small inverts.

In regards to commercial trade they are absolutely hawkfish. Worldwide, in Florida, Texas, and Thailand now we know. The geometric pygmy is traded as a hawkfish. I do believe that your argument was with the trade and not me.

The importance of OP's question is not in it it's scientific classification but it's care requirements.

It's not a hawkfish. How nice.
It does matter, that’s why your CUC are safe

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't decide if I should pull the trigger...such a beauty and inexpensive but the fact I'll rarely see it is a downer...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Cute little guy!
Know! I'd love to get him but am trying to save my money since I just spent a good bit on a really high quality underwater camera and also bought the more expensive underwater housing for protection during deeper dives. Since I started writing for a magazine it's very important for me to be able to take my own high quality diving pics. I'm actually going to take one on one lessons with a professional dive photographer next month. I was hoping maybe R2R might have some way of earning side income writing articles with high quality pics like I'll be working on for the magazine but don't think anything like that exists currently.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back