What's your experience with Red Saddled Anthias ? (Pseudanthias Flavoguttatus)

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

During this week my lyretail anthias passed away, with the help of the community we diagnosed that the diet I was feeding her was not healthy.
Now that I learned from my mistake, I'm interested in the P. flavoguttatus that my lfs (inadvertently) ordered.
They ask about $55 for her which is very good.

About the fish
-Eats mysis, pellets, flakes, planktonic foods like: red plankton and etc...
-Looks healthy, behaves like an anthias should

These are my concerns:
-I heard that Red Saddled Anthias require lower light levels or they will lose their majestic colours. The tank she'd live in is 100g in volume and lps/sps oriented which means +300 par in the upper half of the tank.
-Aggression -I have one other fish in that system and it's a scopas I don't want the new fish to be murdered...

I'm very interested in your experience with these fish so don't keep it to yourself!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these in a LFS last year and did not buy any because I didn't have any room. Other than that exposure, I have not dealt with that fish. I do know that Anthias probably do better in schools than solo, and they need to be eating a meal at least 3x/day to be happy and healthy.

So I really don't know much about them except that they are very stunning, so much that I recalled their name in the thread title.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these in a LFS last year and did not buy any because I didn't have any room. Other than that exposure, I have not dealt with that fish. I do know that Anthias probably do better in schools than solo, and they need to be eating a meal at least 3x/day to be happy and healthy.

So I really don't know much about them except that they are very stunning, so much that I recalled their name in the thread title.
That fish is saddly alone, but I'm interested in breeding anthias so... I'll have to buy more either way.
With further research I found out that they can get used to the lightning which is present in our aquariums.
Luckily she has been at my lfs for the 2nd month which means that she'd have died by now if there was a problem with her.
-I'm going to take the anthias home today

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... so she is here and she may be my favourite fish next to tangs and dragonets.
She is so cute but is stressed, either way I tried to feed her and well... appearently I must be more patient until tomorrow I guess.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... so she is here and she may be my favourite fish next to tangs and dragonets.
She is so cute but is stressed, either way I tried to feed her and well... appearently I must be more patient until tomorrow I guess.
For higher metabolism fish I make sure that they understand that I rescued them from the fish store and plan to feed them well and hope they will enjoy their new home and eat. I try to do “The Talk” as I hand them out of the bag, making sure they relax while I am holding them and let them swim out of my hand.

I find it amazing that most people don’t talk with their pet fish like they do with a cat or a dog. The fish certainly have a mind and a brain to evaluate their circumstances and I think that many fishes that are wild caught are under the impression that people are operating with a simple neural network similar to an earth worm or a planarian.

chris tucker do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back