Mandarin Size

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big should a Mandarin be before adding to a stocked tank.

I have a fully stocked 280 gallon with the following fish below. I have a female mandarin that I've had for 2 months that is approx 1-1 1/4" long. Currently she is in my frag tank after isolation. Due to her size I am skittish about adding her to the main display. I have a male Mandarin that is 2 1/2" long that ive had for about 2 years I am trying to see if they will pair up. The other mandarin gets left alone and the only bullies I have in the tank are my devil spawned damsels. Mandarins are the fish that got me into this hobby and are still my favorite so would love to see them both in the tank.

Current stock:
Talbot damsel x2
Dussumieri tang x1
Desjardini Tang x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Blue throat trigger (f) 1
Blue chromis x2
Copperband butterfly x1
Clownfish x1
Pyramid butterfly x1
Lyretail anthia (M) x1
Midas Blenny x1

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly due to size. Never had a fish that small in the tank.
Oh. You should be fine! My male and female get left alone. The male has taken to even sitting on one of my eel’s heads… they are poisonous with their slime coat so as someone else said they are usually left alone

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew that. I knew about the mucous membrane but didn't realize it was toxic.
Yep! As my boyfriend once put it “god tells you an animal is poisonous when they are beautiful and brightly colored” lol. This was when we saw a poison dart frog!

OP
OP
J

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always lived by the same theory just never applied it to fish as they can be quite colorful. Definitely did when it came to sea slugs though.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a mandarin from ORA into my 180 gallon fully stocked. Not one issue. And that guy was/is still tiny! He came in at about 3/4”. He’s grown a little but still the smallest fish I have

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bright color alone isn't a reliable identifier of poison in reef fish, as many of them are brightly colored either for camouflage or social signalling, but bright, sharply contrasting colors in striking patterns are still a fairly good indicator of poison. And then some relatively non-bright ones are toxic as well- clown gobies are, and clown gobies include a black and a white-with-black species.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright color alone isn't a reliable identifier of poison in reef fish, as many of them are brightly colored either for camouflage or social signalling, but bright, sharply contrasting colors in striking patterns are still a fairly good indicator of poison. And then some relatively non-bright ones are toxic as well- clown gobies are, and clown gobies include a black and a white-with-black species.
I know I was making a joke

OP
OP
J

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everybody. I added the female to the tank and the Mandarins already found each other. There was a little squaring up at first but no nipping and they've been next to each other all morning.
Mandarin.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everybody. I added the female to the tank and the Mandarins already found each other. There was a little squaring up at first but no nipping and they've been next to each other all morning.
Mandarin.jpg
Awe!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back