Pseudanthias Cooperi versus Squamipinnis (Red bar versus lyretail anthias)

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have kept many lyretails, I'd say about 12 of them by now.

Usually, they end up dying after a year (one by one) with the exact same symptoms that does not spread to my other fish (tangs, gobies, foxface). They have this weird behavior all of a sudden, and they just hide for 3 months then die. Never see them eat. Not symptoms other than an odd behavior, and I think it is either one of two things or a combination: collection practices/quarantine. Not sure, but I have a feeling it has to do with collection.

It starts with the male, tends to start just swimming against the glass up and down, hides in a cave all day, the next female becomes a male and rids the old male. Repeat. I end up with 1 female.

Since red bars are collected from a variety of areas, I want to give them a shot and see if I don't experience the exact same die out issue with the same symptoms.

Does anyone have experience with red bars, are they the same as lyretails in terms of feeding, aggression, etc. ?

Aquatic_Reef_Design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lyretails usually are the longest lasting. The borbonius and the bimaculatus are also typically some of the hardier anthias

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back