Lyretail Anthia with small white spot on mouth?

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 1 female Lyretail Anthia for 2 weeks, eating very well from auto feeder 3x daily and frozen. The last few days fish started focusing on her reflection and swims back and forth, stilling eating but not as aggressive, noticed a small white spot on lower lip could it be from rubbing against the glasss the past few days, it’s seems like this start when I cleaned the back glass now more reflective. It’s hard to see in pic but seems like mouth stays open more and suggests?? She is only Anthia in tank with 2 clowns and Tomini tang as tank mates.

Thanks

IMG_5894.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 1 female Lyretail Anthia for 2 weeks, eating very well from auto feeder 3x daily and frozen. The last few days fish started focusing on her reflection and swims back and forth, stilling eating but not as aggressive, noticed a small white spot on lower lip could it be from rubbing against the glasss the past few days, it’s seems like this start when I cleaned the back glass now more reflective. It’s hard to see in pic but seems like mouth stays open more and suggests?? She is only Anthia in tank with 2 clowns and Tomini tang as tank mates.

Thanks

IMG_5894.jpeg

That could be from "glass surfing" although anthias don't do that as much as some other species. Glass surfing is a behavioral issue, often related to some type of stress. While the injury it causes starts off as mild, continued abrasion of the area can cause infection.

Stopping it can be difficult. Some people have tried placing white or black paper on the outside of the tank where this happens. Other people rearrange the rocks in the tank. You might try dimming the room lights to see if that stops it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back