Red planaria-eating fish with open top

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m noticing a decent uptick in red flatworms on rocks and low on the front glass in my 50 mixed. Considering to add a fish that will eat flatworms, but I have an open top and no plans to cover it. What fish might eat flatworms and is unlikely to jump? I have a sunrise dottyback in another tank, but would likely be hard to catch without emptying the tank. Not impossible but a pain. Current fish in the 50 are a pair of clowns, lyretail anthias and a few Banggai cardinals.

Wrasse? Mandarin? Transfer the dottyback? Something else? Just wait and see since the flatworms aren’t bothering anything but me?

OP
OP
thrillreefer

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be a bit difficult to feed, on par with other dragonets. I have been culturing some Tig pods but not sure I want to be locked into a finicky feeder if it won’t eat frozen. Maybe if I can get a captive bred one from ORA

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be a bit difficult to feed, on par with other dragonets. I have been culturing some Tig pods but not sure I want to be locked into a finicky feeder if it won’t eat frozen. Maybe if I can get a captive bred one from ORA

I have found them to readily eat frozen food. You can always ask the lfs to feed them and see what happens.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springers damsel will eat planaria and are pretty well behaved in my experience.
No idea if they jump - I think not too much, but I have a lid so I don't really know or care

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that melanurus wrasses do a good job eating them. I have no idea if they jump, but really any fish can jump out so I would just get a lid if I were you...

They are beautiful fish that cost around 50 bucks, depending where you get them. Could be cheaper, could be more expensive.

Note: its never a guarantee that any fish will actually eat something that its intended to, unless it's diet is strictly that. I would recommend removing the majority of then that you can with a pipette by just sucking them up, and then whatever fish you decided on can keep them under control.

Edit, I just found out that they can jump. Only get this one if you get a lid.

lg-39358_Melanurus Wrasse_Male.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back