Anyone have experiences keeping dwarf pipefish?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of stocking dwarf pipefish (Cosmocampus Hildebrandi) in my 3 gallon macroalgae and live rock nano. I've heard from online aquarium fish sellers that they can be trained to eat frozen food - is that true? If so, would I need to keep the frozen food suspended in the water column for them to eat?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My success rate with pipefish is 0/4. They're simply too finicky when it comes to trying to get them interested in frozen in my experience. But maybe you'll have better luck.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very finicky eaters. They need a good colony of pods to feed on constantly during the day. You can also try live baby brine shrimp.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My success rate with pipefish is 0/4. They're simply too finicky when it comes to trying to get them interested in frozen in my experience. But maybe you'll have better luck.
How long did they last and what kinds cause I’ve been wanting a blue striped one.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my pair of blue stripes for over a year and have never seen them eat, besides picking on pods.
Right now I have a dragon face for over a month in my normal reef tank and he seems to be doing well. He isn’t eating prepared foods but seems more interested. He even did well in quarantine even though I know they don’t have the best reputations for doing well in quarantine. Today I saw some orange banded pipefish and they are probably the most beautiful pipefish I’ve seen this far so might pick one up next week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back