Anyone keeping a reef without snails?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I quit keeping crabs a while back, but I'm starting to think I 86'd the wrong member of the CUC. My snails tend to be bulldozers that knock over all of my frags. I'm starting to think maybe I should keep my tank without snails. Or at least without snails that like to clean the rockwork...thoughts?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the Mexican turbos could topple the CN Tower if they put their back into it. No problem at all with ceriths, Trochus , nassarius, astreas etc.
Those turbos sure are hard working though...kind of a trade off LOL

I am also crab-free. Bad attitudes ;)

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont allow crabs in my tank anymore(due to ripping open lps mouths to steal food) and i feed extremely heavy so cant imagine a scenario for me where removing snails would make sense. For you it may though

Personally i would just secure your frags better. My favorite snails are huge zebra turbos. No issue with secured frags in dt or with my eggcrate fragracks in frag tanks.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astreas in my tank way better at eating algae than your standard hermit crabs would like to add some ceriths at some point in time too though

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 14 snails overall in my 32 Biocube. I wouldn’t say they help more than removing it yourself but they are an easy solution to lowering maintenance (sorta. They don’t do a great job at 100% removal) and cool reef personality to have.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red banded trochius, 1 Florida certh, a lot of bumblebee snails. The later fit into small spaces and they’re always working. One red tuxedo urchin, no bulldozing of any kind out of anyone.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt everything that touches my display so I wait 90 days for snails to fallow prior to entering my tank. My tank has been running for months with 4 tangs (Achilles, yellow tang, orange shoulder, tomini), I only have one trochus snail and I don't struggle with algae. I will add some more snails to the mix but the tang gang has been keeping the tank looking clean.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hermits, no snails. I can scrape the glass myself easily. Only sps frags in my tank and I didn't want to risk the snails knocking my frags over. The hermits shell cant move my glued frags from my rock work.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather keep the smaller snails than crabs , haven't really noticed much benefit from them vs the snails doing clean up work. One pesky emerald has been a terror lately and tough to remove ...so far

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is bare bottom and I prefer the astreas. I have 80 at last count with no algae. For me they work the best at a minimum of 1 per 2 gallons for algae control.
I have a few turbos and ceriths too.
I also have 2 urchins that prefer coraline algae.
I would not have a tank without the astreas.

Back