Anyone Keeping X-Mas Rocks Anymore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started in the hobby years ago, X-Mas worm rocks were quite commonly available at LFS (not online back then). They gradually fell out of favor, mostly because success rates were so poor. Fast forward to the present and you almost never see them available. It's too bad because as husbandry of SPS corals has improved, keeping X-Mas rocks is actually quite easy now …. and they look spectacular. You have to have a tank that will grow SPS in order that the host porities (sometimes cyphastrea) survives; and you have to avoid fish that will pick at the feathery worm heads. If you have surviving populations of tube worms there's likely enough food for the X-Mas worms. It has never been clear to me the extent to which the porities coral and the worms exist in a mutualistic relationship. Some say that if the coral dies, the worms die; other say not. My own experience is that if the porites coral thrives, so do the worms. Correlation certainly; causation, maybe.

Anyhow, when I see X-Mas rocks for sale I will buy them if the coral is still living. I keep them in my frag tank where the few fish will leave the worms alone. No special feeding. The two that I have are both over two years old and both the coral and worms are still alive. The coral has grown quite a lot. The colorful tree worms have not multiplied, but more traditional fan worms have taken up residence and been encrusted in by the porities coral.

If others are keeping these animals I'd love to see some pictures. Here are my two …...

IMG_2074.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90's I had a Christmas tree rock that was gorgeous. I got it from the fish distributor I worked for. We would get them in occasionally. They were relatively common. It was huge and healthy and likely the prettiest aquarium piece I have ever had. I then went on reefing hiatus and am now back in the hobby. I have not been able to find one anywhere. I'm on a zillion email lists to notify me when one becomes available. I've heard nothing. No matter what, even if one comes available, I will likely not find one as fantastic as the one I had in my 75 gallon reef. I don't think I was aware of its value. It was huge and full of colorful tube worms. I wish I had a picture.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started in the hobby years ago, X-Mas worm rocks were quite commonly available at LFS (not online back then). They gradually fell out of favor, mostly because success rates were so poor. Fast forward to the present and you almost never see them available. It's too bad because as husbandry of SPS corals has improved, keeping X-Mas rocks is actually quite easy now …. and they look spectacular. You have to have a tank that will grow SPS in order that the host porities (sometimes cyphastrea) survives; and you have to avoid fish that will pick at the feathery worm heads. If you have surviving populations of tube worms there's likely enough food for the X-Mas worms. It has never been clear to me the extent to which the porities coral and the worms exist in a mutualistic relationship. Some say that if the coral dies, the worms die; other say not. My own experience is that if the porites coral thrives, so do the worms. Correlation certainly; causation, maybe.

Anyhow, when I see X-Mas rocks for sale I will buy them if the coral is still living. I keep them in my frag tank where the few fish will leave the worms alone. No special feeding. The two that I have are both over two years old and both the coral and worms are still alive. The coral has grown quite a lot. The colorful tree worms have not multiplied, but more traditional fan worms have taken up residence and been encrusted in by the porities coral.

If others are keeping these animals I'd love to see some pictures. Here are my two …...

IMG_2074.jpg
Beautiful stuff.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these occasionally at all the usual online vendors (LA, BlueZoo, SaltwaterFish). Never had long term success with them. Jealous of yours!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs had a couple around 2 months ago. I didn't check last time I was there. Trying not to spend a lot right now, so I avoided looking into the tanks and just bought the food I went there for. I'll check tomorrow though. I've always liked the way the Christmas rocks look.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had one, back on the 80’s. They are still available, below is a link to an online store that has them in small, med, large and x-large.. there are also at least 8 available on eBay right now.

http://dreamaquatic.com/xmas-tree-rock.html

Edit: on eBay search “Christmas worm rock” they don’t have the word “tree” in the auctions.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have one! I ve had it for about 3 months now. I created a post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/christmas-tree-rock-worms.580559/
Its doing good and no casualties so far, also the porites coral has show good evidence of growth for me. I dose Phyto and have seen a huge growth in my sponges because of it.
I got mine off EBAY and I am happy with it! They don't come out during the day but rather at night so its a little annoying but I've heard that that's a good sign as if they are allways extended it might mean they aren't getting enough food. I will eventually update the pictures on my thread

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had one, back on the 80’s. They are still available, below is a link to an online store that has them in small, med, large and x-large.. there are also at least 8 available on eBay right now.

Edit: on eBay search “Christmas worm rock” they don’t have the word “tree” in the auctions.

Yeah, I’ve been eyeballing one of the ones on eBay.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like the ones you used to be able to get though.
Oh yours are lovely. I love the one the left. But yes, CTRs in stores used to look like the photos you see on Google images. Your rock on the left is my favorite. You are lucky to have them -- and they are very colorful. You mentioned frustrations because the worms haven't increased. I have no idea how to make the tube worms reproduce. This article briefly mentions it, but doesn't really say anything about what the water conditions need to be like. https://marinebio.org/species/christmas-tree-worms/spirobranchus-giganteus/

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well they are now down to 7! I owe you @JDnKY !
xmas tree.PNG

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have one! I ve had it for about 3 months now. I created a post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/christmas-tree-rock-worms.580559/
Its doing good and no casualties so far, also the porites coral has show good evidence of growth for me. I dose Phyto and have seen a huge growth in my sponges because of it.
I got mine off EBAY and I am happy with it! They don't come out during the day but rather at night so its a little annoying but I've heard that that's a good sign as if they are allways extended it might mean they aren't getting enough food. I will eventually update the pictures on my thread
Beautiful photos. I missed this post earlier.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back