Anyone know of any good books on reefing?

Matthew40b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am wanting to see if anyone knows of any good reefing books that I can read and learn more about the hobby! Thanks!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: John Tullock’s natural reef aquariuns and also his marine biotope book. (Latter is available on Kindle)

They are old, but most things reefing are the same. (Especially if you’ve drunk the “mh and t5s are better for most SPS” koolaid, like i have). Main difference is that people now use two part or calcium reactors if they don’t want to use kalkwasser. We also now have programmable wave makers, atos, and controllers. But the rest is still the same imo.

In fact, one project I have is to essentially write a post that’s an update to that book. It would be entitled “what I learned about reefing eith years of practical experience, that I never learned while reading books”

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most/all of the reefing books are old. Not much of a market for them anymore, sadly. My personal favorite by a mile was the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium by Nilsen. Hardly ‘modern’ but a good read regardless.

OP
OP
Matthew40b

Matthew40b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a used hard copy of John Tullocks natural reef aquariums on amazon for only 6 bucks so I bought that one! After I read that ill have to check out the modern coral reef aqurium. Thanks for your suggestions[emoji1]

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman. Probably still expensive, but should be able to find a used one on amazon or ebay.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Marine Chemistry" (Brightwell, 2007)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing books are ancient. Nothing better than checking out reef2reef. If the poster is an expert contributor, pay special attention to what they are saying. Every post a true expert makes is a learning moment for all of us in the hobby.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected and read these books, and more, 20 years ago. Now the best information are from the internet.
books.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman. Probably still expensive, but should be able to find a used one on amazon or ebay.

Forgot about that one. A good read, I agree. Scott Michaels Reef Fishes series is excellent as well - though volumes remain unpublished sadly.

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything by Martin Moe, Albert Thiel, or even Bob Fenner are interesting (and used to be gospel), however now dated. With the Internet, the most up to date info, info sharing, YouTube, and forums, you get the most current intel on anything reefing. Hats off to Albert Thiel though, when I was in the Gulf War, he sent me his entire book collection free, signed, because in '91 there wasn't the resources online there are now.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Martin Moe updates his books every few years.

I got a used one pretty cheap.

The problem is that the basic scientific consensus on corals has changed tremendously, especially in taxonomy, in the past 20 years. Even beyond the scientific stuff, IIRC its coral-keeping advice is dated.

(coral keeping knowledge is another field of aquarium keeping which is out of date in other older books I mentioned above. But again I'm with the old curmudgeons like @Paul B, and think that in general what's worked well for decades still can work well).

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by some German dude.
Bob Fenner is quite American

This post does remind me that I forgot to recommend another book, "The Avant-garde Marine Aquarist". It of course purports to be not just up-to-date, but - for all useful purposes - cutting edge.
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/avant-garde-marine-aquarist/

I think the author's also European - IIRC French. (which makes sense because of his Vietnam fighting pictures - I think the author must have been with the Foreign Legion, at Diem Bien Phu. I think he said he invented the reef aquarium at his garrison in Haiphong, collecting from the beach when he was not sitting in a guard shack. Or pursuing the local ladies).

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott Michaels Reef Fishes series is excellent as well - though volumes remain unpublished sadly.

I love those books. It's too bad that we're missing a couple volumes. That Nebraskan takes some seriously amazing photos.

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Martin Moe updates his books every few years.

I absolutely loved Moe's, "The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates". I don't think it's been updated since 1993.

His most popular book I believe was, "Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder". I think it was last updated in 2009, so it's only 10 or so years old.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those books. It's too bad that we're missing a couple volumes. That Nebraskan takes some seriously amazing photos.

Is he from Nebraska? Makes sense with all those amazing coral reefs on your doorstep …..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he from Nebraska? Makes sense with all those amazing coral reefs on your doorstep …..

He lives in Lincoln or Omaha, last I knew. He was involved in a store and large service company at one point. I don't know his whole story. I would sure like buy him a few beers and ask him some things...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back