Anyone know of captive bred barbouri for sale?

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my timing isn't so good as seahorsesource is out and will be some months until they have more. Difficult to find this species

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that barbouri's might be available for sale at seahorse savvy online. I think they are connected to Alyssa's seahorse farm in Maryland.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that they have males. No females. Thanks TJ, I was hoping to get 2 males and 1 female to go with my 1 male and 2 females but 1 male is a start! Have you or anyone else gotten livestock from there before?

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Critterheaven, I have bought four hybrid reidi-erectus seahorses from Alyssa and they have done very, very well. So I think she is a very reliable source. It is my understanding that "seahorse savvy" is just another website for Alyssa's seahorses.

I wish I could buy some Barbour's seahorses; I think they are beautiful! But my tank is full, and I understand they don't advise mixing Barbour's with other species.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I have three in my QT tank and they are lovely. Will post a few pictures on my build thread even though they aren't in the reefer yet.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted on Red Sea reefer 350 thread. Haven't gotten them to eat yet which is a little worrisome. Enriching some artemia at the moment.

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gee...I'm sorry to hear that. I hate when that happens. Have you tried live ghost shrimp. A lot of local fish stores carry them and they are pretty cheap. They might go after those even if they ignore the artemia.

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp are too big for barbs. But they did start to eat artemia so I am happy. Will we work on getting back to frozen next

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have Marin ghost shrimp from live brine, not realizing they are almost as big as freshwater ones. They are my clean up crew. If I had reidi or erectus they would have been dinner long ago!!

OP
OP
Critterheaven

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Draco, Ara and Cassie love the enriched artemia!! Swimming all over the reefer after them. Hopefully the younger ones will too once they settle in to the 25. And after I am sure they are eating frozen, I will move them all together

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back