Stocking a 120 Gallon Display

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R Fam,
So as I am nearing completion of setting up my first saltwater aquarium the idea of adding fish and eventually corals has been something constantly racing through my mind. I am absolutely obsessed with the aesthetics of most tangs so of course that’s the route I’m going with this display. I’ve heard countless stories about aggression etc. so I would love all of the feedback and advice I can get. I have an ideal stock list which I’ve changed 20+ times Lol I put these in order of purchase so I would probably buy 2&3 at the same time then 4&5 at the same time as well. Let me know if this list would be alright!

1. 2 Ocellaris clownfish
2. Yellow Tang (captive bred)
3. Purple Tang (captive bred)
4. Blue Hippo Tang
5. Copperband Butterfly
6. Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse

IMG_2421.jpeg

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R Fam,
So as I am nearing completion of setting up my first saltwater aquarium the idea of adding fish and eventually corals has been something constantly racing through my mind. I am absolutely obsessed with the aesthetics of most tangs so of course that’s the route I’m going with this display. I’ve heard countless stories about aggression etc. so I would love all of the feedback and advice I can get. I have an ideal stock list which I’ve changed 20+ times Lol I put these in order of purchase so I would probably buy 2&3 at the same time then 4&5 at the same time as well. Let me know if this list would be alright!

1. 2 Ocellaris clownfish
2. Yellow Tang (captive bred)
3. Purple Tang (captive bred)
4. Blue Hippo Tang
5. Copperband Butterfly
6. Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse

IMG_2421.jpeg
Just my two cents, maybe just the purple and yellow tang since it's only a 4 ft tank. But you could probably comfortably have 10-15 fish in here being a 120g. A couple Flasher wrasse, some rock dwelling fish and sand sifters too.

Just examples
- Banggai or PJ Cardinals ( probably 2 max)
- Dragonet or two (with a good pod population)
- Midas Blenny
- Royal Gramma
- Marine Betta
- Any Chromis
- Any Shrimp Goby
- Hawkfish
- Any Dartfish/Firefish

You could realistically fit all of these fish. Just add the Tangs last and simultaneously

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang seems to do very well in my 120. I had a Blue Tang as well but I feel like the tank was a bit too small for it as it grew and I re-homed it!

Fish in my 120.

Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
One Spot Foxface
Regal Angel
2 clowns
6 line wrasse
Yellowtail damsel

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot about adding other wrasses to the list, I'm going with a sand bed so I'll definitely look into that! I do like some gobies, blennies etc. and I'm hoping I can get at least 3 tangs in there comfortably. Definitely sticking with the yellow & purple and then adding a tomini or other smaller sized tang like a bristle tooth. This might be a silly question but I don't know how aggressive clownfish can be so if I add 2 clowns after cycling it and then wait a month to add the 2 biota tangs which will be tiny, would they get picked on much?

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot about adding other wrasses to the list, I'm going with a sand bed so I'll definitely look into that! I do like some gobies, blennies etc. and I'm hoping I can get at least 3 tangs in there comfortably. Definitely sticking with the yellow & purple and then adding a tomini or other smaller sized tang like a bristle tooth. This might be a silly question but I don't know how aggressive clownfish can be so if I add 2 clowns after cycling it and then wait a month to add the 2 biota tangs which will be tiny, would they get picked on much?
It's hit or miss. I doubt it but you never know. Best to just add all the community fish first.

Also you could put in some Anthias instead of Chromis. More color and less of a butt head. Lol

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit or miss. I doubt it but you never know. Best to just add all the community fish first.

Also you could put in some Anthias instead of Chromis. More color and less of a butt head. Lol
I just saw some purple Anthias earlier online from Dr. Reefs that caught my eye. Gorgeous fish, yeah I’m not really a fan of chromis Lol

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw some purple Anthias earlier online from Dr. Reefs that caught my eye. Gorgeous fish, yeah I’m not really a fan of chromis Lol
Now I’m wanting to add a blue throat trigger in with a yellow, purple & tomini tang. Wonder if the trigger should be added before or after the tangs:face-with-monocle:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a wild caught? I’m ordering most fish from Dr. Reefs so I’ll see if he has any captive bred.
Cause wild caught ones tend to die really soon and has collection issues.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t go too fast with the bigger fish as you’ll soon find out a 120 gallons tank isn’t that big.

In mine I have 4 bigger fish, the rest are smaller.

Yellow tang
Kole tang
One spot foxface
Japanese swallow tail

Then
Pajama cardinal
Banggai cardinal
Ruby red dragonet
Filefish (for aiptasia)
Firefish
Yellow watchman goby (and her pistol shrimp)
Yellow wrasse
A pair of clowns

The only fish that isn’t fully grown is the foxface. When it is, if I find the tank feels too small, I’ll rehome one of the four.

OP
OP
Adam Houston

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That’s about the same amount of fish I’m hoping to get. They’re just so expensive quarantined it will take me a while to get all of the 4 larger fish after the pair of clowns. I’ve changed my mind so many times for the stock list but I’m definitely hoping I can fit a yellow, purple, & gold rim tang plus a copperband butterfly fish in there comfortably for a while.

I’m thinking about adding a 6 line wrasse since a I hear those are good at getting rid of parasites. Was hoping I can avoid having to get a UV sterilizer but maybe I can find a good deal on a used one. I’m already $1250 in on this setup with about $750-800 to go for the rest of the equipment. For a first time saltwater setup I can’t believe how quickly my moneys disappearing but I’m sure that’s the same for everyone in this hobby Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back