Anyone know the max flow rate on 750xxl?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what is the max flow rate I can achieve using the stock plumbing. Im looking to use the Triton method and they recommend 10x.

I have upgraded all my plumbing to 1 inch but the return still reduces to 3/4 inside the overflow.

20180116_192404.jpg

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting around 540gph using Varios-8 pump on max speed with stock plumbing. Using Apex flow meter to read flow. Let me know what your flow rate is with the pipe upgrade, so I can see if it is worth upgrading also.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a vectra m1. I upgraded the pipe but the return still goes down to 3/4 using the stock standpipe return. I was thinking about replacing it with another 1 inch return standpipe like the other two drains. I would need to get an extra 1 inch standpipe from red sea first.

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From research, it seems that I am getting max flow with stock plumbing. I would be happy if I get around 800 gph with the bottom plumbing upgrade. What is your current flow rate?

Thank you

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay will follow your build thread. BTW... Was getting about the same flow too when using Vortech L1 at max speed.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 625xxl and a Varios 8. I'm around 600 and not too happy. I have a Varios 6 flowing into a Pentair UV with an added return giving me a little more. I hate to be critical...but the documentation has a suggested flow rate and the plumbing supplied seems too restrictive to meet that need. It should have been 1" MIN! I'm going to make a manifold in the next few days or weeks when I get the time. I would like for the 8 to feed a reactor and the UV instead of another pump.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty crazy that it seems like all the Reefers, regardless of tank volume essentially use the same size overflow and return plumbing set up. Seems to be quite limiting on the larger size tanks.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty crazy that it seems like all the Reefers, regardless of tank volume essentially use the same size overflow and return plumbing set up. Seems to be quite limiting on the larger size tanks.

Yes, I may end up turning mine into a bean animal and route the return over the back. I can't understand why Red Sea would have a tank this size (750 xxl) that can only turn over 540 gph.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore feedback on this topic? I've rebuilt my manifold and return configuration twice now hoping that I could improve the turn over on my 525XL. In both my builds, I used 1.25" plumbing throughout reducing to 3/4" at the last possible moment. Regardless of how little I restrict things, I still can't get more than around 540Gph out of my Varios-8. I've tried Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 fittings with no difference in turnover.

I'm about to rebuild my entire plumbing for a third time and I think I'm going to downgrade to 1" to reduce on the weight and cost of the fittings. I think I'm going to add a Neptune COR-20 and run my manifold under a separate loop pulling and dumping back into the skimmer section of the sump.

I've been obsessed with trying to reach the 1000Gph figure on my tank since I first built it and have yet to get anywhere near that. Has anyone out there been successful at finding 1" or 1.25" male adapters that will fit the Reefer bulkheads? I'd pay a pretty penny for them if they existed so I could run 1" or 1.25" all the way from the pump to the jet.

@Daltrey, can you provide a pic of how you handled your return jet(s) and how things look at the display? I'd be interested in taking this route if there's been no innovation in the area of adapting to Red Sea's bulk heads.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an Abyzz a100 and I modified the return from 90 degree elbows to 45 degree elbows which helped, but I am still only getting about 920 GPH. I too would like to get more, so if anyone modifies there's successfully with 1" return plumbing, I will likely do so too.

Pom Herder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question on another plumbing matter. The Reefer 525XL's main drain is 32mm, but the emergency drain is only 25mm. Shouldn't the emergency drain be at least as large as the main drain and ideally shouldn't the emergency drain be larger than the main drain?

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’ve been so focused on the return that I hadn’t even thought of the drain. According to https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml, one should only see a max of 660 gph from. 3/4” gravity drain. Maybe this is another reason to double up and use the factory return as another drain converting from Herbie to Bean style.

Hrmmmm!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’ve been so focused on the return that I hadn’t even thought of the drain. According to https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml, one should only see a max of 660 gph from. 3/4” gravity drain. Maybe this is another reason to double up and use the factory return as another drain converting from Herbie to Bean style.

Hrmmmm!
I'm running over 900 GPH through my stock drain with no problems

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone drilled the back of a reefer and ran the return(s) through the back?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone drilled the back of a reefer and ran the return(s) through the back?

I drilled the back of my RSM C130 for a BA setup, same glass so you can drill for returns if you wish. :)

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I may end up turning mine into a bean animal and route the return over the back. I can't understand why Red Sea would have a tank this size (750 xxl) that can only turn over 540 gph.
Flow rate through sump doesn’t really matter

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, has anyone managed to fix this? I’m running a Vectra L1 and getting 2300 lph, so roughly 550gph as well.

Is it actually possible to upgrade the plumbing to 1 inch instead?

Back