Anyone know what species ARC Fireworks is?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been scratching my head on this one for a while, I have seen pics of ARC fireworks, Merlins staff, Firecracker acro etc etc.
Some like these below make me want to say compact growth form of kimbeensis.
Screenshot_20191028-220212_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191028-220313_Google.jpg

However, some pics of the same "coral" I see more similarities of A. donei, than kimbeensis.

I decided to stop by some LFS today and spotted a specimen of this mystery coral, funny thing is, they had no idea what they had, they were selling chunks/mini colonies for $40-70.

Its definitely the same species, and after seeing it in person, I'm now leaning towards it being donei instead of kimbeensis, the deformed radials are too hard to dismiss, also the axial structure on these matches with A. donei too.

These aren't colored up at all, but they are /have incredible potential, and for 40-70 for these chunks !!
Taken with a samsung s8+ no filter under radions

20191106_200716.jpg
20191106_185611.jpg
20191106_200552.jpg
20191106_183324.jpg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a frag a couple weeks back, so I will contribute when it lays a base and starts to do it's thing. Until now, just shows a deep red with yellow highlights and polyps. Following this thread for sure :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth the Aussie donei always grow small short compact branches in my tanks, probably from the flow. I still think donei, kembinessis grow much differently in my tanks although it’s been a while since I had one. I have had a donei growing for a long time up until I sold it at my last tank move.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth the Aussie donei always grow small short compact branches in my tanks, probably from the flow. I still think donei, kembinessis grow much differently in my tanks although it’s been a while since I had one. I have had a donei growing for a long time up until I sold it at my last tank move.

I have had the opportunity to see a ARC fireworks colony recently, I will admit I believe I was wrong initially thinking it might be a compact form of kimbeensis. I agree on A. donei.

After seening other larger colonies of other named corals, I think a few others are possibly acropora donei as well in addition to Merlins staff-

Rainbow loom, JF shock tart, Joe's mango garden, CBs pink tip, paletta tri color stag to name a few.
Anyone else see the similarities between them all?

A. donei looks like it is a species able to take on some incredible crowd pleasing color combinations!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the opportunity to see a ARC fireworks colony recently, I will admit I believe I was wrong initially thinking it might be a compact form of kimbeensis. I agree on A. donei.

After seening other larger colonies of other named corals, I think a few others are possibly acropora donei as well in addition to Merlins staff-

Rainbow loom, JF shock tart, Joe's mango garden, CBs pink tip, paletta tri color stag to name a few.

A. donei looks like it is a species able to take on some incredible crowd pleasing color combinations!
I agree with donei.
P.s. how do you not have more badges! You really know your stuff!

OP
OP
TDEcoral

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well it seems the consensus is A. donei so that's what i'll go with until proven otherwise! I look at Diver's Den fairly frequently and I can't recall having seen A. donei on there. I wonder how frequently it's collected? Maybe the Aussies prefer to keep them for themselves lol.

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but, I think all those you listed are more similar to A. Glauca, Divaricata or something up that alley.

A. Donei has very distinct polyps, and corallites.

Here's one of my A. Donei. Once you have an eye for them they're easier to spot out.
IMG_9690.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wrong as I'm not terribly familiar nor have I kept the species, but I see these all having very similar morphology, esp the radial structure and the occasional odd pointed shaped dimidiate.
Also the radials structure becoming more pocketed and tubular towards the tip of the branches- which was originally throwing me off onto kimbeensis.

Again, just see too many similarities to think they are different species.

I dont believe any of them to be glauca or divaricata, but again, I'm not a coral biologist. lol

Arc fireworks-
Screenshot_20191122-210735_Google.jpg

Rainbow loom

Screenshot_20191122-210303_Google.jpg

Shocktart
Screenshot_20191122-205253_Chrome.jpg

Pinktip
Screenshot_20191122-205402_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-205548_Google.jpg

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink tip one is the only one I think could also be donei. As for how often the my come in? I see them on divers den almost monthly. I picked one up when I started this tank but killed it except for two frags.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink tip one is the only one I think could also be donei. As for how often the my come in? I see them on divers den almost monthly. I picked one up when I started this tank but killed it except for two frags.

What do you think JF shock tart and R loom could be ?

I see a lot of the donei traits in them, esp when it grows less compacted, like this

Screenshot_20191123-085636_Chrome.jpg
20191123_090433.jpg

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe pink tip is A. Natalensis, and I guess could be the same for some of the others also.

I still go with my gut and say the Arc fireworks is the only one out of these in question that is a true A. Donei

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rainbow loom looks more like divaricata to me, especially with the sharp oval shaped coralites but that seems to not be a good way to id because some people’s pics show rounder shapes to them. I am not familiar with the jf shocktart But it could be natalensis or divaricata. I would go with natalensis if I had to guess.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merlins Staff, ARC Fireworks and Gonzo's Cookie Monster are all the same species, IMO, but have different coloration. I do not know about the rest, but wanted to offer this.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now looking at the colony shot of pink tip it looks more like divaricata as well. I am not that great with a lot of ids though. Some I am ok with but these are not my best.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now looking at the colony shot of pink tip it looks more like divaricata as well. I am not that great with a lot of ids though. Some I am ok with but these are not my best.

I'm in same same boat with you, I'm just going off of what I can see, I have come across A. natalensis before when referencing other IDs but usuall dismissed it as according to AIMS it's natural range is Madagascar and bits of Sirlanka in, which rarely, if any corals get collected regularly.

I can see some morphology that makes divaricata hard to dismiss, However, which brings me to, how Reef Builders believes Pink Caddy is divaricata, to which I see very few similarities

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in same same boat with you, I'm just going off of what I can see, I have come across A. natalensis before when referencing other IDs but usuall dismissed it as according to AIMS it's natural range is Madagascar and bits of Sirlanka in, which rarely, if any corals get collected regularly.

I can see some morphology that makes divaricata hard to dismiss, However, which brings me to, how Reef Builders believes Pink Caddy is divaricata, to which I see very few similarities
A. Natalensis is fairly common on the Bali/Indo mari farms. I never knew its natural origin, but I know for sure they grow it there.

I think A. Divaricata is definitely a good candidate also, at least for some of those.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back