Anyone know what this cyphastrea is doing?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some context, I just did a Night broadcast feeding on my tank to help feed some of the new colonies I got when I noticed this on the cyphastrea. I had this piece for 2-3 weeks and is doing great, no recession, full polyp extension ect. They're not visible during the day and I have noticed this a few times before. It's definitely not dead tissue or skeleton as the colony is fully intact and again, isn't visible during the day. I've always noticed them but never this much, they look like waste but could they be sweepers/feeders? It's not the food as what I'm feeding looks nothing like this. Any ideas?
20230906_202309.jpg

(The large white spot in the center is a dead coral barnicle)

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a barnacle, usually the coral just grows around it. If they’re still alive you should see a feather-like ‘hand’ pop out, wave, then suck back in.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a barnacle, usually the coral just grows around it. If they’re still alive you should see a feather-like ‘hand’ pop out, wave, then suck back in.
Do you know what the white tuffs on the first photo are? They are only visible at night and not dead tissue. It's what I was asking about originally. Though personally I don't mind the barnacles, hoping the cyphastrea dosent grow over it

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing!
20230906_214736.jpg

Is it a good sign? Never heard of them, can you tell me more?
Mesenterial filaments are the thickened and elongated free edges of mesenteries below the actinopharynx. These can be stretched out of the mouth to help capture and digest food outside and inside of the polyp using their high abundance of granulated gland cells, which secrete digestive enzymes. Bulbous lobes at the end of mesenterial filaments are called cnidoglandular bands. These structures contain a battery of nematocysts for catching prey and for defense, and of granular gland cells to aid in digestion.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesenterial filaments are the thickened and elongated free edges of mesenteries below the actinopharynx. These can be stretched out of the mouth to help capture and digest food outside and inside of the polyp using their high abundance of granulated gland cells, which secrete digestive enzymes. Bulbous lobes at the end of mesenterial filaments are called cnidoglandular bands. These structures contain a battery of nematocysts for catching prey and for defense, and of granular gland cells to aid in digestion.
Thanks! I did just feed my tank so makes sense, is this the scientific term for the feeding arms or are these different? Glad I knew this, the first time I saw them I thought it was debris and tried to blow it off with a pipette lol.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I did just feed my tank so makes sense, is this the scientific term for the feeding arms or are these different? Glad I knew this, the first time I saw them I thought it was debris and tried to blow it off with a pipette lol.
No, typically they have sweeper tentacles that do most of the food catching.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, typically they have sweeper tentacles that do most of the food catching.

Thanks! Glad to hear this isn't harmful, though is it a good sign, there aren't any corals close by and it's the only sps in my tank (unless you count leptastrea) do they only do this as defense against other coral or is it trying to catch food?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad to hear this isn't harmful, though is it a good sign, there aren't any corals close by and it's the only sps in my tank (unless you count leptastrea) do they only do this as defense against other coral or is it trying to catch food?
Cyphastrea is an LPS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's debatable, there are no scientific definition of LPS or SPS, it's just a hobbyist term
True enough but generally if the polyps are large enough to be easily distinguishable, well, it's a large polyp coral, lol

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True enough but generally if the polyps are large enough to be easily distinguishable, well, it's a large polyp coral, lol
Touché, though I'd still consider things like leptastrea and cyphastrea an sps, though it does sort of blur the line between the two.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back