Anyone know why red monti caps turn grey?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I've noticed a weird situation that happens a few times per year. All other SPS look fine , however once in a while only my red Monti caps get washed out, somewhat grayish instead of a vibrant brick red. My parameters are stable and right on with common levels. My hunch is a trace element lacking or maybe low potassium. Anyone have this happen and do something that corrected it? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, so I've noticed a weird situation that happens a few times per year. All other SPS look fine , however once in a while only my red Monti caps get washed out, somewhat grayish instead of a vibrant brick red. My parameters are stable and right on with common levels. My hunch is a trace element lacking or maybe low potassium. Anyone have this happen and do something that corrected it? Thanks
You say levels are spot on. Can you furnish those numbers and indicate how you are testing?
Greyish is a lack of nutrients, too much flow, too much light and lack of calcium in Some cases.
Mine always look like this:
1692117516094.png

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a variety of elemental dosing for months alongside tests from ATI and although the numbers for those elements improved on the tests, coral all healthy, I have not seen any one thing particularly enhance color coloration. I say enhance because I have tried products that claim to enhance certain colors. That being said, I would not fully discredit these products as my corals remained healthy. However I do not think a particular elemental deficiency would result in one type of coral going grey as opposed to all of the sps in your tank looking fine. What I would think is that its possible that something is occasionally building up in your tank perhaps around times when filter media needs to be changed or cleaned etc. What I would do is the next time you see this happen, have an ATI or equivalent test on hand, fill the vials and send that out. Do the same when those types of corals are vibrant and doing well. Compare the results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8 DKH, CA 450, MG 1350, ph 8.2, sg 1.025 temp 78 N03 5, PO4 0.04
Check your potassium level. Edit: i see you mentioned in op.

Edit 2: could also be something environmental if it happens a few times per year (pollen etc).

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need red, green and some yellow light to bring out some reds. If you are super heavy blue, then turn up the whites some. If you have plenty, then a water change is the best way to true-up elements quickly with no need for testing.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Lithium. This is the second time in the last 10 years my monti caps ( red especially) look Grey and blotchy. Both times an ICP showed only 1 thing far out of range. The Lithium is above 800ppb. The previous time I put cuprisorb and the problem resolved. So I ordered Cuprisorb for this event.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back