Anyone local to Rochester/Canandaigua area?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Anyone from the Rochester or Canandaigua area? I'm in Farmington, looking to hopefully purchase some local frags or just meet some local reefers. If anyone is out there, please let me know!

lil vic Baked Bean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there friend. I'm brand new to reefing, I caught interest in this hobby about a year ago when I moved back to Rush. I have a 20 gallon red sea max nano tank I've been cycling without live rock using the red sea reef mature kit for about 2 weeks now and just seen my first signs of diatoms. Excited to visit a fish store on my next day off and pick up some clean up crew members. I've only been to the Reef shoppe on culver Rd so far and Id be interesting in knowing which local store you prefer. Anyway it's good to see another reefer on this forum active in this new year !

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there friend. I'm brand new to reefing, I caught interest in this hobby about a year ago when I moved back to Rush. I have a 20 gallon red sea max nano tank I've been cycling without live rock using the red sea reef mature kit for about 2 weeks now and just seen my first signs of diatoms. Excited to visit a fish store on my next day off and pick up some clean up crew members. I've only been to the Reef shoppe on culver Rd so far and Id be interesting in knowing which local store you prefer. Anyway it's good to see another reefer on this forum active in this new year !
Hi! I like The Reef Shoppe, but just barely a block away is Caribbean Forrest, who were the original specialty reef store in the Rochester area (along with Marine Oasis, which I think is way out west of Rochester now). I believe the owner(s) of The Reef Shoppe used to be partners with the Caribbean Forrest people, but they had a falling out, and now have two separate shops. I do appreciate that The Reef Shoppe also has freshwater fish, I recently got some Otocinclus catfish from them that I couldn’t find anywhere else, though their freshwater stuff is expensive.

If you’re making the drive up to these shops on your day off, double check their hours first. I believe both shops are closed Monday and Tuesday, and The Reef Shoppe is also closed Sundays. One time years ago I made the drive on a random Monday and was rather disappointed.

I live much closer to Canandaigua, so I have been going to The Salty Dog on Main Street Canandaigua. It’s alright. The fish and corals seem healthy, and they offer tank raised/bred fish from ORA and Biota, but their shop is so run down with an inch of salt creep covering all the tanks. Dirty fish stores are kind of a pet-peeve of mine, but otherwise it’s a decent store.

I just recently found a local reefer in Penfield who has frags for sale. He also mentioned that we may see a Rochester area frag swap in March.

And I’m expecting a coral order this morning coming from an R2R member in Easton PA who seems to have great stuff and good feedback.

Nice to hear from someone else local, let me know if you want any more information on any of those options. Good luck!

lil vic Baked Bean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi! I like The Reef Shoppe, but just barely a block away is Caribbean Forrest, who were the original specialty reef store in the Rochester area (along with Marine Oasis, which I think is way out west of Rochester now). I believe the owner(s) of The Reef Shoppe used to be partners with the Caribbean Forrest people, but they had a falling out, and now have two separate shops. I do appreciate that The Reef Shoppe also has freshwater fish, I recently got some Otocinclus catfish from them that I couldn’t find anywhere else, though their freshwater stuff is expensive.

If you’re making the drive up to these shops on your day off, double check their hours first. I believe both shops are closed Monday and Tuesday, and The Reef Shoppe is also closed Sundays. One time years ago I made the drive on a random Monday and was rather disappointed.

I live much closer to Canandaigua, so I have been going to The Salty Dog on Main Street Canandaigua. It’s alright. The fish and corals seem healthy, and they offer tank raised/bred fish from ORA and Biota, but their shop is so run down with an inch of salt creep covering all the tanks. Dirty fish stores are kind of a pet-peeve of mine, but otherwise it’s a decent store.

I just recently found a local reefer in Penfield who has frags for sale. He also mentioned that we may see a Rochester area frag swap in March.

And I’m expecting a coral order this morning coming from an R2R member in Easton PA who seems to have great stuff and good feedback.

Nice to hear from someone else local, let me know if you want any more information on any of those options. Good luck!
Lucky for me Wednesday is my day off

sage2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Rochester been reefing for about 4 years now!

collosalness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

around the area. Is there a local reef group? bit the bug to start getting into the hobby again. Still in the planning phase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back