Anyone on here keep a green moray?

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in trying one of these beasts. If you have, would you mind telling me things like:
  • Tank size
  • Equipment (skimmer size, flow rate, temp control, water parameters, lighting, etc)
  • Layout (aquascape, how much rock, type of rock, how much sand, type of sand, etc)
  • Tankmates (even ones the eel ate)
  • Feeding and temperament
That's pretty much all I can think of as of now. Any other information is appreciated!
Also, I know these are huge aggressive animals that require great care and I am fully, both financially and time-wise (and space-wise), able to care for one.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a scuba diver. Green morays get 8' long and as big around as a man's thigh. For their fearsome reputation, they are really quite mild tempered. But because of their huge size, I would think that you would need a tank the size of a swimming pool. Why do it? There are much smaller morays available that can be kept in a reasonable size tank.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're like most other tank busters. there is no right answer because they don't make hobby level tanks big enough to properly house one at full size. not even sure bill wann could keep an 8 foot eel in his 20k gallon tank and it be happy and healthy. maybe, but I wouldn't try it.

if you want an eel gofo a snowflake or zebra.

Back