Anyone out there running Triton Method with KH Director?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the kh to change the amount dosed to all pumps. I believe you have to have it in adaptive mode.
If kh is high it drops the dose automatically to all pumps listed. And if it's low it will up the pumps equally if they are listed.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA @Ditto @AZMSGT can you help me figure out what the issue is? I set up my KH director & Triton dosing early this morning (VERY early lol) as follows. As you can see, at 3.41am Doser 5, 6, 7, & 8 were all at the same level.
IMG_5573.PNG

IMG_5574.PNG

IMG_5575.PNG

IMG_5571.PNG

I have all the dosers set up as follows: Doser 5 @ 7am, 6 @ 7.15am, 7 @ 7.30am & 8 @ 7.45am.
IMG_5572.PNG

Just checked the dosers and it looks like Doser #8 dosed more than the other three. Why would that be?
Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 8.01.57 AM.png

#ghl #KHDirector #Profilux
I’m sorry, I’m not the expert here, I try to help where I can but your best bet is @Vinny@GHLUSA or @Ditto

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, @Vinny@GHLUSA let me know if I have this right... Dosing Triton Core7 4-Part. Controlling dKH with KH Director. I have the KHD testing 6X a day starting @ 6am and I have the 4 dosers dosing 6X a day starting @ 7am and ending @ 7.45am (dosing 15 minutes apart).

My lower limit is 8.9 dKH and my upper limit is 9.1 dKH. I have the control on all dosers set to Add-On Control based on KH Value.
  • At deviation actual value to nominal value is set @ 1.
  • Adjust each dosing by the amount set to 10ml. Assuming if the dKH is off by .5dKH, it'll either add/subtract 5ml, correct?
  • Limit raise to 10ml.
  • Limit lower to 10ml.
Does this look good to you? As of 5pm PST today, the 4 dosers are at 738ml fill level. Alkalinity is @ 9.4dKH. This means that the nothing should be dosed at the next interval (which is at 7pm PST), correct? I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. lol

@Ditto what do you think? Did I do this correctly?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, @Vinny@GHLUSA let me know if I have this right... Dosing Triton Core7 4-Part. Controlling dKH with KH Director. I have the KHD testing 6X a day starting @ 6am and I have the 4 dosers dosing 6X a day starting @ 7am and ending @ 7.45am (dosing 15 minutes apart).

My lower limit is 8.9 dKH and my upper limit is 9.1 dKH. I have the control on all dosers set to Add-On Control based on KH Value.
  • At deviation actual value to nominal value is set @ 1.
  • Adjust each dosing by the amount set to 10ml. Assuming if the dKH is off by .5dKH, it'll either add/subtract 5ml, correct?
  • Limit raise to 10ml.
  • Limit lower to 10ml.
Does this look good to you? As of 5pm PST today, the 4 dosers are at 738ml fill level. Alkalinity is @ 9.4dKH. This means that the nothing should be dosed at the next interval (which is at 7pm PST), correct? I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. lol

@Ditto what do you think? Did I do this correctly?
I know you are asking for help from Ditto and Vinny, but I'd like to ask …..

Where are you setting the 8.9 and 9.1? In the ALARM box? If so, I'm pretty sure that those numbers will have nothing to do with the dosing and that may be throwing you off.
If your nominal value is 9 and your deviation is set at 1, then I'm pretty sure your dosers will be dosing some amount (and I believe it will be 0.4x10=4ml less than what you have your dosers set at.
If I'm wrong, I will shut up and never post on your question again!....and I apologize! :)

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are asking for help from Ditto and Vinny, but I'd like to ask …..

Where are you setting the 8.9 and 9.1? In the ALARM box? If so, I'm pretty sure that those numbers will have nothing to do with the dosing and that may be throwing you off.
If your nominal value is 9 and your deviation is set at 1, then I'm pretty sure your dosers will be dosing some amount (and I believe it will be 0.4x10=4ml less than what you have your dosers set at.
If I'm wrong, I will shut up and never post on your question again!....and I apologize! :)

We’ee all learning this together. lol My nominal value is 9. My alarm is set for 8.9 & 9.1. Looks like KHD didn’t dose anything at 7pm because all is at 9. Seems like it’s doing what it needs to. I’ll review in the AM to see how it did overnight. :)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther
I would not set the upper and lower alarm limits so close to each other.

The KHD has a tolerance of +/- 0.1 or +/- 0.2, depending on the sample size used. With those boundaries being that close, it will not take much to trigger an alarm from even the slightest swing. Personally, I find a 1dkH alarm boundary to be a more manageable range, otherwise you'll be seeing KH alarms and immediately think something is wrong when in reality the tank KH only swung 0.2dkH and everything is fine. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther
I would not set the upper and lower alarm limits so close to each other.

The KHD has a tolerance of +/- 0.1 or +/- 0.2, depending on the sample size used. With those boundaries being that close, it will not take much to trigger an alarm from even the slightest swing. Personally, I find a 1dkH alarm boundary to be a more manageable range, otherwise you'll be seeing KH alarms and immediately something is wrong when in reality the tank KH only swung 0.2dkH and everything is fine. :)

Yeah, I actually changed it this morning to be between 8 and 10. :)

Johnsoto25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be exactly the response you are looking for, but I will at least let you know that I am interested and will be following.

I recently purchased GHL equipment and set up a new tank. I'm all set to dose Triton 4-part but don't have corals yet. I've used Triton for many years in a previous heavily stocked SPS system. I found a dosage that would keep my Ca and trace elements (3 of the 4 Parts) at a good level but I had to add supplemental buffer. (This always bothered me because theoretically that should not be necessary). So, in this previous system, if I based Triton 4-part dosing on KH Director control, it would be overdosing on the other 3 Parts. I'm not sure if this will be the case with my new tank, but I am hesitant to let the KH Director control the Triton 4-Part.
At the moment, I have a GHL Doser 2 set up to dose the 4-Part, and I'm considering letting the KH Director just add additional buffer if needed. (It will probably be a couple of months before I put all this in action though).

I have a 5-compartment dosing tank all ready to go....
GHL 1.jpg

The empty space on the shelf is for the ION Director when it arrives!
bro where did you get that cabinet??

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back