OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. I was using the led came with my first "reef ready" tank kit and growing anemone and clam with it, so that's that. But I can't keep sps in it exact one brown stick. If you just want to start something affordable, I think AI Prime 16 is the best to start with. It's only $200. And it's very future proof, very easy to get more for higher intensity, or use it in your inevitable frag tank. Only reason I won't recommend it is if your tank is very narrow and long like a 20 long.
My tank is 54 long. 24 wide. So would need a few of those Ai primes

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high-end lights on my DT (4xT5 with 2xHydra26), but my spare frag tank has always had a pretty poor spare light. A friend of mine who used to run Black Box lights on his tank, bought this light on Amazon for $100 and reported that it was really good. I purchased it last week, and it's honestly pretty darn good looking on my frag tank. Really nice ability to control between blue and white to achieve a great looking result.

It is bluetooth, and with the app you can set 6 times of the day for a schedule. Each schedule slot you can program whatever intensity of blues or whites that you want (so you could use the first slot to turn them on at 25%, 2nd 50%, 3rd 75%, 4th 100%, 5th 50%, and 6th to off, for example)

The MAJOR problem is that if you turn off the switch manually, or if you lose power, then all the scheduled programming is totally lost and you have to re-set it all up. I never plan on manually turning off the switch, but I know that I have to remember to program it whenever the power goes out to my home.

It is really super thin, but it has a large footprint so I'm getting really great light all over the frag tank. For 100 bucks, I'd definitely recommend this thing.

Man, I'd hate to program if power goes out. I'd get a battery back up for it. Haha

Joralf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first put them on my current tank:

c4a9e424468e7a2223a7ff7b73564c0a.jpg

Light spectrum and intensity is important, but there is so much more to a successful reef tank.
Hi. Can you share your schedule and settings for those LEDs?. I have a 75 gallons tank with 2 LEDs. (48 inches long tank). Wondering If I need to adjust mines.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Can you share your schedule and settings for those LEDs?. I have a 75 gallons tank with 2 LEDs. (48 inches long tank). Wondering If I need to adjust mines.

60% blues, 30% whites. 8 white, 10 hours blue. 12" off water surface.

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to start a topic on this, this is what I was considering

I don't have coral yet, i plan to but won't be going for any of the hard to maintain types. What do you look for when picking a light?

Joralf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60% blues, 30% whites. 8 white, 10 hours blue. 12" off water surface.
If I understand correctly, you don't go over 60% on blues and 30% on whites. You run 8 hours full spectrum and 2 more hours of just blues. Right?

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting a Current USA Orbit Marine for our Fluval 13.5 gallon. Hopefully I won't be terribly disappointed, it'll be compared to the ReefBreeders Photon V2 that I have on the 30 gallon...

Tim

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a connoisseur of cheap lights from Amazon, there are useless ones and great ones out there. Here is what I look for
1. Make sure they are 3W LEDs -- look at the total wattage of the fixture for a clue.
2. Make sure there is a fan for active cooling.

Pretty much anything you find that meets those rules will, in my experience, grow corals and last for many years. (The only parts I've *ever* seen wear out on black box LEDs are dimmer switches, after 3-5 years, about 10% of the fixtures I've owned)

After that it becomes a matter of preference. I prefer separate plugs for blue and white channels, so they can run on different timers. And I prefer as little green or red in the fixture as possible. And stick to the units around $90-$100... there are plenty of retailers on Amazon or eBay selling identical units for 50% more to trick people who don't sort by price.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back