Anyone running ozone through a Maxspect Jump skimmer?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests I'm looking to run ozone through my Maxspect Jump skimmer. I presume I would use a barbed hose connector and put one end onto the air intake tube of the skimmer and attach the other end to the outlet tube of my ozone generator.

If anyone has done this specifically with a Maxspect skimmer I'd be curious to see a picture of where it's coming in to the skimmer, and/or be open to any tips around the setup in general.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the Nyos looks easy, there’s a nice dedicated input you just attach the hose to. I’ve found a lot of videos showing that but none for Maxspect unfortunately.

Regarding ozone compatibility, ironically the Jump (the economic model) is ozone safe out of the box but with the Aeraqua Duo (the Cadillac version) you have to buy an upgrade kit with ozone safe parts.

If I don’t get any feedback I’ll be sure to post some pics of my attempts. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plot thickens! I was taking apart the silencer where the air hoses connect on the skimmer and I noticed two unused small inlets. I measured them and the diameter is 6mm, the size of airline tubing. I can't find any mention of them on the Maxspect site or in the Jump manual, I tried reaching out but their customer support is non-existent.

My guess from the size is they were meant as air intake for either running a line outside getting fresh air to lower CO2 or ozone. Or heck, there is two of them, you could technically do both!

1695138328752.png

1695138345929.png

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up I installed my Aqua Medic Ozone 90 generator yesterday. I ended up using 4mm silicone tubing as it was a better fit on the silencer (picture below). You'll also see a bit of airline with an black air restrictor, that's unrelated to ozone and was just something I was using to reduce air intake to the skimmer for better performance.

Either way it was pretty straight forward, I ran the generator last night for 2 hours and the water does look very clear. The water looks just like I put a fresh bag of carbon in. The idea of the quality staying like that long term is pretty amazing!

1696161391790.png

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up I installed my Aqua Medic Ozone 90 generator yesterday. I ended up using 4mm silicone tubing as it was a better fit on the silencer (picture below). You'll also see a bit of airline with an black air restrictor, that's unrelated to ozone and was just something I was using to reduce air intake to the skimmer for better performance.

Either way it was pretty straight forward, I ran the generator last night for 2 hours and the water does look very clear. The water looks just like I put a fresh bag of carbon in. The idea of the quality staying like that long term is pretty amazing!

1696161391790.png

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I’m looking at this exact skimmer to run with ozone. How did it work for you past that first day?

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I’m looking at this exact skimmer to run with ozone. How did it work for you past that first day?

It's been great! Running the past 4 months for 90 minutes at night and each morning the water comes out sparkling. Also a great benefit is it's managing the smell. My other half was pretty sensitive to it, and especially during WC there was a strong ocean smell. Now there's nothing, win win!

The only thing that didn't work out, that I don't think I mentioned originally, was the air dryer. I setup the ozone intake to draw air through an air dryer with color changing beads. I found they were exhausting nearly every week. For me changing and recharging them it was too much extra maintenance to add to my current schedule.

I decided because the generator I bought is relatively inexpensive, I'll run it without the air dryer and when it finally can't keep up then clean or replace the corona discharge element.

jujuman16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an SK400 mid November, and an Enaly Ozone Generator at the end of November, my best guess is I started running ozone sometime mid December 2023. I run it daily, 3 times a day for 30 minutes each. The power to the Enaly is controlled by my Apex, and it stops producing ozone when it gets to a safe number with the ORP probe on the Enaly, or the power is shut off when the Apex ORP sensor gets to a similar number as a contingency. Long story short, max runtime is 90 minutes, but its way less than that based on the ORP reading. I run airline to one of the holes on skimmer intake, and the other stays as is. I don't cap the other one and it works as expected, water is crystal clear.

Last weekend, I noticed that there were barely any bubbles being created by the skimmer. The white hose that feeds air to the skimmer with ozone became brittle and disintegrated. It's only been 3 months! My understanding is that the hose is supposed to be silicone, and from my research silicone is supposed to be ozone safe. Maybe not in an elevated concentration... who knows. I opened a ticket with BRS, and the response was the following:

"Unfortunately, ozone is a very harsh substance and can impact silicone tubing substantially. Consider using an ozone reactor instead of running though a skimmer. If you just want to replace the silicone tubing, https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/white-soft-silicone-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html. Damage from ozone is not covered under skimmer warranties. We appreciate your understanding."

I have a ticket open with Maxspect and im pending a response, and will keep you all posted. I'm OK with replacing the hose every so often as part of the maintenance, though i am surprised how quickly ozone has an impact on equipment. I am afraid of the orange silicone pieces that hold the air/water intake and seal the body/pump also deteriorating, see below. I will take the skimmer apart this weekend and inspect it.
1711729057873.png

I can't afford not to run my skimmer, so i just used a regular vinyl hose temporarily and ordered clear silicone hosing from Amazon with overnight delivery. Lets see what they say... Again i'm ok with replacing the hose periodically as long as the rest of the components can take the beating. I think It's a great skimmer for the price and it fits perfectly in my sump that has limited real estate. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will keep you posted, and wanted to share my experience for those looking to do the same.

jujuman16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For clarity, one of the hoses circled in red is what disintegrated on the skimmer
\
1711730039662.png

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jujuman16 thanks for sharing, that is interesting! The research I did said silicone was ozone safe as well, and it's what I use for my ozone tubing.

Thus far I've not had any issues with brittle tubing on the ozone lines or the Maxspect tubing you highlighted. It's tough to say if perhaps you're running a higher concentration of ozone than I am or there's some other factor at play.

For clarity where are you connecting you ozone intake hose to your skimmer?

I'm connecting mine where the arrow shows in the picture below.

1711802502628.png

jujuman16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jujuman16 thanks for sharing, that is interesting! The research I did said silicone was ozone safe as well, and it's what I use for my ozone tubing.

Thus far I've not had any issues with brittle tubing on the ozone lines or the Maxspect tubing you highlighted. It's tough to say if perhaps you're running a higher concentration of ozone than I am or there's some other factor at play.

For clarity where are you connecting you ozone intake hose to your skimmer?

I'm connecting mine where the arrow shows in the picture below.

1711802502628.png
Same spot. Smaller intake port using airline tubing. I just don't cap the other one.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing think is the concentration of ozone must be different. Sadly the AquaMedic unit I have just goes from levels 1-10 and there’s no clarification on how much ozone is being output at each level.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back