Anyone soundproofing their cabinet?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first sump system build and I'm just amazed how much noise is reduced when I open the cabinet doors. As soon as I close them the low resonance hum fills the room, but with them open it's next to nothing.

I have a lot of OXO mats under any gear that vibrates, and nothing is touching the glass, I've even used silicon tubing between connections. I think I've reduced the noise as much as I can in that department.

This is what got me wondering about putting sound baffles or other noise dampening material on the inside of my cabinet. Has anyone ever done it and had any success stories they'd like to share?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering something similar. Instead of soundproof the stand I want to soundproof an external skimmer. The rest of the equipment are really not loud.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a product called sound board in my cabinet. Picked it up at Home Depot and it comes in 4'x8'x 1/2" sheets
I screwed pieces of it on the doors. When I used pumps that made more noise than the ones I have now, it seemed to help.
One thing it didn't help much with was the low end hum from a reeflo pump.
Most of my noise is water draining into the sump and water coming out of the skimmer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that closing the doors increases the noise. Suggests that there's some kind of frequency reinforcement going on (depending upon the interior dimensions of a fixed box, certain frequencies can be boosted, others damped as a consequence of modal frequencies - rather like that one-note low bass in your car). Assuming the noise is not transmitted vibration, a sound damping material like might help to reduce any reinforcements. Got to make sure it won't absorb moisture though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that closing the doors increases the noise. Suggests that there's some kind of frequency reinforcement going on (depending upon the interior dimensions of a fixed box, certain frequencies can be boosted, others damped as a consequence of modal frequencies - rather like that one-note low bass in your car). Assuming the noise is not transmitted vibration, a sound damping material like might help to reduce any reinforcements. Got to make sure it won't absorb moisture though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore

Thanks for the advice! I think you hit the nail on the head with my concern. Most sound baffles are a foam material, and being in the sump area I'd worry they soak up moisture and grow mold. I guess I'll just have to see what I can find.

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same thing on my sump and tried several things to reduce the noise, not successful yet. I got some Auralex foam placed behind the sump, hoping it would absorb the low pitch hum... I can't tell if it really helped. Biggest problem of sealing the cabinet with foam is the moisture getting stuck in there

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@ca1ore

Thanks for the advice! I think you hit the nail on the head with my concern. Most sound baffles are a foam material, and being in the sump area I'd worry they soak up moisture and grow mold. I guess I'll just have to see what I can find.
The product I mentioned on my sump doors is almost 13 years old and still dry and mold free.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back