Anyone Tried Putting a Fish in the Skimmer Section of the Sump?

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone tried. The skimmer(HOB) section of my sump is around 12 inches and 20 inches deep. Thinking of putting a live rock, some sand and fish, probably a frogfish or something that wont swim up the skimmer.

Is it ok? Just wanna add something in that section cuz it looks so bare.

Is it ok or a no-no? Anyone tried?

THANKS.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it ok or a no-no?
Bad idea, there is no species of fish you could be sure wouldn't get sucked into the skimmer intake, also sand is a bad idea in the skimmer section as it can also get sucked into the skimmer and damage the needle wheel or pump.
Would this fish live in darkness? A light is also not good near a skimmer due to algae growth inside the skimmer.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone tried. The skimmer(HOB) section of my sump is around 12 inches and 20 inches deep. Thinking of putting a live rock, some sand and fish, probably a frogfish or something that wont swim up the skimmer.

Is it ok? Just wanna add something in that section cuz it looks so bare.

Is it ok or a no-no? Anyone tried?

THANKS.
You could probably screen the intake somehow. I ran a skimmer in my QT 30 gallon but my fish are all large and the skimmer was medium , rated for about 150 gallons. The problem was it sucking up food. You would have to turn it off when feeding the fish in the sump probably.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 168 74.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back