Anyone use compressed towel "disks" or similar absorbent to protect?

Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have experience using compressed towels or a similar absorbing material to contain leaks, or as a way of buying time?

Even with leak monitoring, if I get a notice at work (and am ABLE to leave ) it could take easily an hour to be able to get home. I'm setting up as much protection as possible -controlling, monitoring, containing and now absorbing.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad, you have something there.
But if I may ask for what leak........ bulkheads, plumbing, silicone joints, busted pump, overflow of tank, ATO??

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so many leaks?

OP
OP
Meredith

Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on a custom stand so I'm currently sporting a Frankenstein hodgepodge that likes to burp wherever, whenever it can. And when stand gets here, I'll be creating all from new so, many surprises await me. I realize these towel things can't stop a big deluge but most I've come home to find, (or created ) have been at most a gallon or two-ish.

I hope, and think most of my current troubles will go away once franken-tank is gone, over the edge siphon, (I HATE THAT THING), stiff tubing bending further than intended and leaky on bizarre occasion, power outtage causes something to burp I don't know what, I've never been around to witness. No controller or UPC hooked up, wanted to take time to install and think/plan proper for new set up. So, saving all goodies for that.

My thought was to place the towel disks inside the cabinet stand, outside of sump for traveling tubing dribbles, skimmer mishaps too close to sump edge to be contained, sprinkle type tube failure, whatever. Something that if a water detecton sensor alerted me, I'd find something other than free flowing water, a couple soggy expanded towels hopefully.

And reading some of the other posts on here, I've gotten some good ideas about protecting the bottom cabinet area.

OP
OP
Meredith

Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so many leaks?
Franken-tank likes to burp. Especially after long work days, or right before bed. (One was a fish rescue from the over the edge siphon, filter sponge. Lots of water spilled trying to restart siphon, casualty - one power strip)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.
I leak or worse is what always can happen but in many times when setup and plumbed the right way is minimized in just a few oz, or just drips.
In 45 years I never had a big flood and as I can only remember twice a leaking bulkhead but water always made its way back into the sump.
Smart planning your plumbing is your best friend long term.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those towels hardly absorb any water. might be better to throw some big towels down there for the time beig, since iit's temporary.

Harry Muscle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the Lightload towels are supposed to be quite absorbent. I'm thinking of trying those for this exact purpose.

Thanks,
Harry

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back